Bobs Special

Craig Ward

Curious about Wooden Canoes
20211107_094444.jpg
Greetings.
I have an old canoe in my possession that I was told is a Bob's Special. The question I have is, is it possible for a Bob's to be a little narrower than 37"? Now this old gal has broken gunwales so my measurements could be wonky. All other measurements match up with a Bob's, with the beam being 35.5 at the gunwales, and just over 36.5 at about the water line. It has no serial numbers, and I was told that it could have been made by a Chestnut employee for themselves, hence no need for the serial number. It appears relatively flat bottom, with what I call moderate rocker.

A tell tale sign of a Bob's Special is that it has thinner than normal ribs. Shoot a picture of the rib tops at the gunwales.

You won't regret the work you'll have in it. The Bob's a remarkable design. I'm always amazed by how my mine turns and maneuvers so effortlessly. Its "relatively flat bottom," as you put it, with its wide beam and light rocker lets it pivot and turn very nicely. Be sure to show us pictures of your progress.

Mud

Yes sir I will.
It's a sad story, but I bought it 6 years ago, only needing new gunwales and canvas. Then it was stolen 3 years ago when I was moving. As luck would have it I moved back there 3 weeks ago, and last week I saw it laying in the bush! Now needs decks replaced as well as the first couple of inches of stems. Thinking of aircraft fabric instead of canvas though.

That's a weird one. Just lying there? How sick people can be. Didn't even care about what they stole. Sheesh. Glad you got it back.

Why not canvas? Just curious. (No expert here.) When my dad recanvassed his Yankee in the 60's he used aircraft "dope" on one side and Old Town's goop on the other. The aircraft side would scratch down to orange, and the other side to white. I know that's not what you're talking about though. Just saying it cuz I've run out of intelligence.

Well, I always wanted to try one that way, no racks just glue. Also it's easier for me to get Ceconite than canvas. Also easy to shrink it.

Back