wood/canvas

australiiancanoe

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Have a canoe from a friend that I am restoring. They bought it in 1960's. Serial #46 9364. Does anyone know anything about this canoe?

Thanks
Aust.canoe

14ft, red canvas. seems to be narrower than my bob's special and deeper in the center. Can list measurements if needed. Has a keel.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums - I'm sure the experts here will be able to assist... Pictures are always a big help in identifying a canoe - if you can post some, I'm sure it would expedite the process.

pics

Following are some pics of the canoe in question.
ife%20canoe

ifecanoe009.jpg

ife%20canoe

So hopefully that worked. Otherwise I will try again.\
thanks Aust.canoe

ifecanoe010.jpg

ifecanoe004.jpg

ifecanoe002.jpg

ifecanoe001.jpg

My guess is its a chestnut canoe. any thoughts?

regards
Aust. canoe

Last edited:
Chestnut

Your canoe is a Chestnut. It had a shoe keel, rather than a tapered one. We probably need the beam, depth, rib thickness, rib spacing to nail the model down. There are no surviving Chestnut Canoe Co. serial no. records, although other folks on the Forum may decipher information from your no. It should make a fine paddler.

Fitz, thanks for your thoughts. I am considering leaving off the keel when the time comes. Considering the age of the canoe I have a feeling the future use of this canoe may be fairly sedate.

regards
Aust.canoe

No need to baby a wood-canvas canoe due to its age... many of us paddle canoes that were built prior to 1920. Granted, Denis and I paddle rather quietly all of the time, but it's our preference not to shoot rapids. Get your hands on a Bill Mason video and see how he uses his Chestnut canoe!

Remember: wood-canvas canoes are made of component parts, and if anything breaks it can be fixed---- more than fixed: it can be new again. Unlike our bones... so care should be taken when exploring the wilds of the North-- for your own sake.

In his films, Bill Mason teaches us to "read the river"... which one has to do when paddling a wooden canoe... and I worry about those who have a "Ram-X" or other supposedly indestructible watercraft, because they may feel they are also indestructible... and they are missing a major point: it's a good thing to step out of the canoe from time-to-time, and check what's ahead. Kind of a "life-lesson-thing".

Here's a link to a video of our new old canoe (unrestored) which is somewhere around 110+ years old and is our current "user":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcqLvWQ7RGk

Kathy

Hi Kathy, Thanks for the message, I have borrowed the Bill Mason DVD from the library. Great stuff. I agree with you that the canoe is to be used and yes I think with the tips about reading the rapids etc I think I will use it alot. My White water experience is very small at this stage so may start that with my Ceder stripper.

In the mean time the restoration of the Chestnut should keep me out of trouble.

Really enjoyed your video by the way. Very informative and I agree a great looking canoe!!

Regards
Aust. canoe

Back