Bert Morris in the 1940 Census

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
I'm attaching the 1940 census page showing Bert Morris and his second wife Margaret. This was the year Bert died, so this is where he was and what he was doing at the end of his life. He was living in the apartment over the old factory office on the main drag in Veazie (the place that is now the office of the Stucco Lodge) (we know this already from his death notice).

The new information is that he only made it through the eighth grade. Probably was already building boats with brother Charlie. The other interesting information is that he says his occupation is "boat builder" in a "boat factory". We've been told he was working at Old Town's factory... too bad he wasn't more specific and confirmed this once and for all.

We also see he says he worked the equivalent of 26 full-time-weeks the previous year. This fits what I'd expect, based on his statement to Joe Seliga that boat building was a hobby for him in his later years. He says he made $840 doing this work, and admits to income from sources other than work, as does his wife. I'm not sure if this is Social Security money they refer to, as an online search tells me that regular SS payments didn't begin until January 1940, and this census data is for 1939.

Kathy

Attachments

• bert morris 1940 census small.jpg
    bert morris 1940 census small.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 281
Hello Kathy,

I am always amazed that more information turns up after all these years. At some point someone could possibly compile all of this into a new book.

Macky

Back