Bedding compound too runny?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I bought a new can of 2005M Dolfinite bedding compound recently. And I'm wondering if I got a batch that is too loose.

I'm trying to hide or blend in gaps between the canvas and an external stem. I can easily slather the bedding stuff into place, but in a few hours much of it oozes out. Some of the gaps are admittedly wide - up to 1.8" - but I see the same oozing from the small gaps. The stuff has about the consistency of tooth paste - maybe a little looser.

Is this oozing normal?
How long does it take to 'dry' and become stiffer?
Is there something I can do about it?

Oops... I meant 1/8"! It's actually more like 3/32".

Anyway, after I posted this thread I found some insulation 'rope' around the house - that putty-like stuff you used to calk windows & doors - and crammed it deep into the gaps but leaving space for the bedding compound which I applied later. Hopefully a thinner layer of the bedding compound will be less likely to run.

IMG_20150929_235548.jpgIMG_20150929_235656.jpgIMG_20150929_235642.jpg

It's a 1950 Penn Yan Rainbow by the way...

The bedding compound is not meant to be a structural gap filler and it would perfectly normal for it to leak out of any gap.
The putty or caulking compound is designed for filling gaps but if the surface you applied it too was still oily from the bedding compound, the new caulking may not bond as much as you would like or expect.
Rollin

Gap filing

Howie
I have got similar gaps in a couple of places, but have gone for filing them with paring down planking. I then use a dab of glue on one side to fix it to one of the adjacent planks.
My strange thought on this is to hold it in place, but still allow for movement. Hence it is not glued to ribs.

Or should I just calk the gap sit down with a beer and think of the next task???

Colin
London Ont

I think you're talking about filling in gaps in planking. Yes, it's ok to glue small chunks of planking to adjacent planking to fill in these gaps. As you say, you'd like to avoid gluing chunks onto ribs so the restorer down the road has kinder words to say about you.

You understand that this is different from my problem, which was with gaps between external stems & canvas. My gaps can be seen in the final - yours will be hidden by canvas or varnished over.

Back