Any suggestions about age and model of this Chestnut (if it is a Chestnut)?

blackbear

I'd appreciate any help knowing about the origins, model, age/era and a couple of other things about a canoe I just acquired.

She's 14' X 30" X 13?" red, with partial Chestnut decal on the deck, open gunwales, deck is shallow semicircular cut out, cant ribs are wider than the regular ribs. Some regular ribs have been repaired by the looks of it - two different thicknesses and colours present. Spent her life in Canada I am told.

Some odd things:

1. Chestnut decal has left leaf and bottom leaves "cut off" - not perfectly cut but neatly done. The decal, like this, is centred on the deck - and there would be little space for a full decal. I can see no evidence of the decal being damaged and cannot feel or determine any varnishing or finishing that would indicate a difference or repair.

2. It has serial number 011123 on the stem. From what I can find out, Chestnut did not usually number its canoes - when it did, the numbers were 5 digits or started with a "C" - mine clearly starts with "0".

Any suggestions?

blackbear

Blackbear, I'm sure pics will help folks chime in better.

Your listed dimensions sound just like narrow ribbed Chestnut Playmate I picked up last fall...
Peternut%2BMermate%2B01_rs.jpg

Funny thing was that it was stamped with a Peterborough Mermaid serial code but the Chesnut decal looked original and unaltered.

Peternut%2BMermate%2B05_rs.jpg

Peternut%2BMermate%2B22_rs.jpg

Read somewhere on the forums that sometimes Chestnut used their snowshow decals on their cheaper end canoes meant for sale in Eaton's and Sears or when they ran out of regular decals. Maybe your modified decal was just one of those things slapped after it was damaged or something.

Thanks for your suggestions, Dan and Murat V. Could very well be a Playmate. I was reading about yours, Murat V. on your paddle making blog before I posted here and wondered. I will try to get some pics posted.
blackbear

Back