Allied Aviation Corporation Molded Mahogany Canoe

SouthernKevlar

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I picked up an interesting old canoe last week; an Allied Aviation Corporation 16’ molded mahogany canoe with what appears to be mahogany and white oak gunwales. The canoe hull is sound with a small bit of rot on the gunwales and stem, which I plan on repairing. I will also be soldering or replacing one broken stem band and cleaning up a few scuffs. Other than these few issues, the canoe is in very good condition. I have not yet tested the finish, which is in nice condition, to see it is varnish or polyurethane; I’m out of acetone at the moment, but I will be putting on a new coat soon just for safety.

I would also be interested in finding out if the AAC canoes had any identification, such as decals or deck plate decals, other the brass tag with the company name and serial number. This canoe has a hole in both the bow and stern decks with painters attached when I bought it, but I was wondering if it may have originally had eye-bolts?

I have not found much information on this company and its offspring “Whirlwind”; the threads on the WCHA website have been the greatest help with information on this canoe so far. I am looking forward to reading the article in the WCHA Journal on Molded Canoes. Should any readers have any further information on the Allied Aviation Corp. canoes, I would be interested in learning more about these canoes.

According to the seller, it was purchased by his wife’s grandfather, who worked at the company, around 1945 and has been passed down through the family over the years. It spent most of its time on lakes in New England and Minnesota before being moved to western North Carolina. Due to no current family members wanting the canoe, it went on the market. After seeing the canoe, I bought it. The mahogany hull really sets it off and I had comments from several folks before I got home and took it off my car. I have not yet had it in the water, but I look forward to seeing how it paddles!

Since I did not find any specifications on this canoe listed on the web, I thought that I would list them from my canoe for future reference. If anyone wishes any other measurements from this canoe, please let me know.

Allied Aviation Corporation

Serial Number on Nameplate: 849

Length: 16’0”

Hull Width: Maximum 34”

Gunwale Exterior Width 34”

Gunwale Interior Width 31”

4” waterline Width (estimated from internal and external measurement) 32”

Depth: Bow 18.5”, Amidships 13.5”, Stern 18.5”

Rocker: 4” bow and stern, measured from floor to the 4” waterline minus 1” for the keel height

Keel: ¾” wide by 1” deep

Thwart placement: Bow to center of Front Thwart 72”

Front Thwart to Rear Thwart (Center to center) 51”

Rear Thwart to Stern 69”

Thwart Width: 2.25” (Maximum width)

Thwart thickness: 1”

Thwart Length: Front 30 5/8, Rear 30 ¼

Exterior Gunwale width at Thwart: Front 32”, Rear 32.25”

Hull Thickness: ¼”

Weight 56.7 pounds

Thank you, and any further information on the Allied Aviation Corporation canoes will be welcomed!

Attachments

• DSCN1070.JPG
    DSCN1070.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN1069.JPG
    DSCN1069.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1078.JPG
    DSCN1078.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN1085.JPG
    DSCN1085.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1077.JPG
    DSCN1077.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1075.JPG
    DSCN1075.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1088.JPG
    DSCN1088.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN1089.JPG
    DSCN1089.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN1091.JPG
    DSCN1091.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1092.JPG
    DSCN1092.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thanks, John! The photos are of the canoe were taken just after I had pulled it off the car when I got home from picking it up. I am looking forward to doing some touch-up and repair on this nearly 80 year old canoe. It does look rather pretty with just the dust knocked off.

This is the first molded plywood canoe that I have ever actually seen; this construction technique didn't become nearly as popular as aluminum construction in the post-war era. It is interesting that the "Molded Products" molded plywood boats, which the Allied Aviation Corporation became after it was sold, apparently produced over 15,000 runabouts and sailboats under the "Whilwind" brand between 1945 and 1961 when the business was dissolved. It appears that very few canoes were made. I do seem to be attracted to the unusual when it comes to many of my boats. I hope to gather more information on the AAC canoes as I go along.

Bonjour Alcedo Atthis,

Aside from the "Canadian" style canoe, it seems that there were the "Olympic" style racing canoes (C1s and 2s) and kayaks produced by several European and Scandinavian companies from the 1940's to the 1990's. I am looking forward to finding more information on this style of wood canoe and their makers.

Back