Algonquin old style canoe

François Rothan

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello everybody,

Here is my last birchbark canoe, algonquin oldstyle, 13 footer, 30 inches beam, 12 inches depth.

All the best to you all!

Francois

Attachments

• canot légaré 001.jpg
    canot légaré 001.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 1,104
  • canot légaré 003.jpg
    canot légaré 003.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 678
  • canot légaré 004.jpg
    canot légaré 004.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 645
  • canot légaré 005.jpg
    canot légaré 005.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 840
  • canot légaré 010.jpg
    canot légaré 010.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 639
  • canot légaré 002.jpg
    canot légaré 002.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 652
Love it, especially the decorative stitching high on the stems. Nice work.
Francois: It looks like the sheathing is lapped. Is this right? I know sheathing was lapped on some bark canoes, but I thought that the edges of the sheathing "planks" were always feathered if they were to be lapped (and left square if they were to be edge-butted). In the photos, it looks like they have square edges, and the sheathing looks like lapstrake.

The sheating is overlapped indeed. Algonquin canoes have usually overlapped planking, like tête de boule or Ojibway canoes. Edge to edge taper planking is a typical feature of Malecite canoes, crees or even montagnais. Correct me if I'm wrong beaver

the butt of the sheating is also overlapped within 3 inches and hidden under a rib. Thsi is my special way of doing algonquin canoes, it looks nicer than having feathered butts sticking out everywhere. I know some algonkin canoes that use the same pattern

Hello everybody,

Here is my last birchbark canoe, algonquin oldstyle, 13 footer, 30 inches beam, 12 inches depth.

All the best to you all!

Francois

Nice canoe eh! Your canoe has a rather round bottom which will make it fast and highly maneuverable; although it may be a little tippy at times. Let me know how it paddles.

The rocker is a special demand I have had from the customer. He is making canoegraphy ( choregraphy with a canoe) and wanted extra rocker on the boat in order to make more manoevrable. Your book looks amazing, where can I get it? How much is it? Thanks

The rocker is a special demand I have had from the customer. He is making canoegraphy ( choregraphy with a canoe) and wanted extra rocker on the boat in order to make more manoevrable. Your book looks amazing, where can I get it? How much is it? Thanks

Voici les renseignements, Francois;
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detai...26+Photography
BEAVER BARK CANOES; THE ART AND WORKS OF FERDY GOODE
By F. W. Goode
There's a slideshow of the first several pages on the Blurb website.

Any chance you might hang on to that new canoe long enough to bring it to Assembly in New Hampshire and show it off!?

The rocker is a special demand I have had from the customer. He is making canoegraphy ( choregraphy with a canoe) and wanted extra rocker on the boat in order to make more manoevrable. Your book looks amazing, where can I get it? How much is it? Thanks[/QUOTE
You may get my new book by going to my website http://web.mac.com/beaverbarkcanoes click on "NEW BOOKS" to view or place your order.

Last edited:
Back