67 Samson

sandpiper

canoe builder
Good day guys. I am a little curious today. I am working on a wood and canvas. Hearth shaped decks, looking like a Canadian Canoe Co. On the bow deck, a copper oval plate. Stamped on it, 67 Samson. The owner is from the States. I suppose there is a serial number on the stem, under the varnish. I would appreciate comments on this one. Thanks a lot

Sandpiper

Sandpiper,

Please post a couple of photos of the canoe, especially close-up of the deck. The serial number would also help.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Good morning Dick. I am glad you responded to my request. I do not have pictures for now. I will try to get pictures taken and post it. I must say that the canoe was repaired some years ago. I started to strip the old varnish. The serial number looks like #1727. There might be something else added on to it. Like I said, the canoe belongs to a guy who lives in the USA and has a cottage in my area. I found out that thoses canoes that I repair always come from the grandfather or father of the owner. It is a family affair. It is a nice looking canoe. So hang in there I will get the picture taken. Bye for now and thanks a lot for the interest. Sandpiper

Good day Dick. I have a few pictures. Hope you will discover something. Thanks a lot. Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 538
Allo Dick. I had to modify the other picture. So, here it is. Bye!

Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_0022mod1.JPG
    IMG_0022mod1.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 546
Hi,

I would bet it is a livery tag or a berthing tag. Attached, and verified by club historian, is a berthing tag that was on my 1919 OT Charles River from the Banook Canoe club in Halifax Canada. It was quite a common practice at clubs before the advent of convenient cartop racks!

Cheers,

Morley Pinsent

Attachments

• Mabel 5.jpg
    Mabel 5.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 541
Good day everybody. Well, livery tag, berthing tag!! That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks a lot for your help on that subject. I appreciate. Best regards Sandpiper

Back