212528-15

JMETZ

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi Folks,
My brother just acquired this clear glassed wooden OT... seller said about 20 yrs old. Would a build record be available for it? By the way, the seller also said it was 16' but bro' says the serial number was pretty clear. Thanks

Thanks

I've forwarded this info to my brother and I appreciate your quick response. We have mixed feelings about the factory glass but he said it's gorgeous and couldn't resist. He has been looking for his own wooden canoe for some time as this is somewhat of a family tradition. My father & I both have vintage "hw's" and I have an ongoing "de" restoration. We have always believed in the virtues of filled canvas over cedar. Its interesting that Old Town , as well as smaller builders, would offer fiberglass as an option (even if it does show off the pretty wood) Does anyone have experience with the quality/longevity of Old Town clear fiberglass? Im also curious; does old town reserve the best planked (wood clarity & craftmanship) for glassing ?

JMETZ said:
Does anyone have experience with the quality/longevity of Old Town clear fiberglass? Im also curious; does old town reserve the best planked (wood clarity & craftmanship) for glassing ?

I have an Old Town with serial number 240003 and a factory fiberglass covering that is doing fine as shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5305&d=1215358989 on the side nearest the camera. The ones that are covered with clear fiberglass are tacked with square headed tacks and they usually pay closer attention to matching the colors of the planks. The overall quality and longevity should be about the same as any other Old Town. The clear ones make it harder to hide scratches since you can't just repaint it.

I can tell you that the Old Town with serial number 209469 shipped in 1976 so your borther's canoe is probably a bit older than twenty years.

Benson

Back