New 1923 16' AA Otca

Any recommendations on filling a few cracks around the deck trim? Probably just a cosmetic issue, but I'd like to get rid of the gaps.

I figured an epoxy would be bad as it would glue the trim and the deck, and possibly the inwhale together permanently, but perhaps that's not an issue? I don't want it to be impossible to break down for future restorations.

Wood putty? Epoxy? Shims? Ignore it?

Any advice appreciated!

For tiny things like that, I've used mahogany colour wood filler. As I'm building up the varnish, I use permanent graphic markers, bought from an art shop which are made in every colour imaginable, adding a little of what's needed at each varnishing. While wet, you can smudge them in with a finger to blend them more into the old wood.

Sam

It looks like there was a bit of filler in that corner at some point. The gap is there because the coaming has pulled away. You can see a pucker in it where it is probably cracked. You can fill it if you want but it will be pretty hard to hide the filler. The real fix is to remake the coaming and install it properly so that it is pulled up tight to the deck. It's probably not worth the effort but if that gap was bothering me enough to consider filling it, that's what I would do (have done).

Just as MGC offered and let the sleep begin. I couldn't live with that coaming break given that a new one would be easy enough. As well, the deck corner should be looked at for a good fix with it being
accessible . For me there are points on a canoe where the eye is drawn readily especially following a restoration. You are on one here with this issue .
Have fun in any event. Dave

Haha, yeah. It is super visible. Both coamings are not a curve so much as multiple short straight sections, like the edges of a negative space dodecahedron. Unfortunately, when I removed the screws it was still pretty stuck in there. I think it's been epoxied once before after all. I didn't want to jimmy it out.

I'll probably take everyone's advice - as I mentioned earlier I'm doing a coatings refresh for this season and will really take the boat apart over the winter. I'll scrap the coamings then and add wood with an actual curve. Until then I'll do a bit of mahogany filler. I've sanded the decks down pretty deeply because of the salt damage and poor varnish condition so I might as well, even if it's temporary.

Thank's for the fast replies. Forum members are ON IT. Very appreciated.

Here's a picture with the varnished outwhales back on briefly mid varnish. I'm excited to see the trim looking so nice.

Last edited:
Had to wait all week on 2nd and 3rd coats of varnish due to wet weather but was able to do more today. Did some freehand doodling while waiting for the varnish to cure, figure there's no harm painting as the current canvas will be going soon. I like the convention of naming canoes, even if they are small craft - most older canoes at camp received the names of long time staff after 10, 25, or more years. Will add more pin-striping/decor as I add coats.

Since the canoe is black I figured something along the lines of crow or raven, but I'd written a rather good limerick about Grackles a few years ago and they fit the bill. Here it is for your consideration:

The Grackle

A curious bird is the Grackle.
With feces his nest he will spackle,
to attract a mate,
but when I had date,
his approach proved to be a debacle.

Yeah, I think it'll just be replacing rib tops (about 50% will need a piece scarfed in or a lot of epoxy) and then the canvas, so not really a full rebuild.

I don't think I'll wind up needing to bend any wood, but who knows what will be revealed after skinning! I may bend a practice rib just to see how it goes while everything is exposed.

We will have fun this summer regardless, I'll just need to be a little more careful as the ribs/gunnel attachments are probably a little weak.

I'll snap a shot or two when we get out on the water. Hopefully soon!

Consider that original #2 design! It looks different in different pictures but how cool to have one of the design paint schemes! Beautiful canoe - good luck with it!

Back