1946 Penn Yan 15ft Hunter Canoe

jam010148

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hi All - I am starting a restoration of a 1946 Penn Yan 15 ft hunter canoe and need some parts. There is only one seat (other lost) and it is with a plywood insert instead of cane - correct? I need the bow seat. If you have one and would like to sell it, please let me know. Else, if you can direct me to a source, much appreciated.
Next, I see Howie listed Penn Yan decals in a 2013 post - Howie, still available? Else, anyone know where I might be able to purchase Penn Yan canoe deck decal ? Lastly, the large phillips brass screws and washers and nuts that attach thwarts and and seats to the gunwales. I need four for the bow seat.
thanks & have a great day
joe

The plywood insert is most likely a replacement, after the original cane was torn. If nobody has a seat to sell, you can build a new seat, replicating the profiles of the existing seat.

For hardware, check out our Builders & Suppliers Directory: https://www.woodencanoe.org/builders-suppliers
or Hamilton Marine: https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/
or Jamestown Distributors: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/home
or Rutabaga: https://www.rutabagashop.com/collections/replacement-seats-supports
or Ed's Canoes: https://www.edscanoe.com/caco.html
and probably others.

And post pictures... we like pictures of canoes, in all stages of reconstruction!

Reactions: MGC
The plywood seat insert is original after WWII. You will likely need to build a new seat . The screws are not Phillips, but Reed and Prince or Frearson. The angle is steeper, and a Phillips head will round out the slots VERY quickly. Frearson bits are available from some of the firms Paul listed above. You can use Phillips screws for replacements and nobody will know the difference. Penn Yan Boats sells deck and side decals.

If you could post the actual screw sizes you require I'll be happy to see if I have them. I believe I have a few pieces of left over Penn Yan bits squirreled away somewhere.
I'm with Paul regarding those seats. I'm pretty sure they are caned and on the ones I've owned, they are mahogany. If you want to properly replace them you may need to make them from scratch.
When Howie comes along he will be able to say for sure since he's worked on quite a few Penn Yan canoes.

The WW2 connection is a good point. I suppose the way to tell on the seat is looking from underneath... does it have holes for caning?

Correct, lots of Penn Yan seats had a plywood insert instead of cane from the factory. Especially boats.
As far as the screws, they are known as Reed And Prince or Frearson drive. Gil is correct that a Phillips will work, but I’ve had much better luck with an actual frearson driver bit in the soft brass and bronze. They engage better.
I often heat the driver with a torch to be sure to get through paint and varnish in the recess.
I get them from Jamestown Distributors.

Good Morning and thanks to all that responded to my request!
I found decals at pennyanboats.com - quite expensive but any port in a storm. Also, TJ at Penn Yan Boats is searching for plans for the seat construction. Lastly, I searched and searched but could not find any Reed And Prince bolts except for short ones listed on eBay. For the bow seat, I would imagine that 3 1/2" or 4" bolts would be required to hang the seat properly.
I will post pictures, hopefully, later today for those that requested and have an interest.
thank again - if anyone finds or has bolts, please let me know
have a great day
joe

Good Morning Again All,
It looks like the bow seat was attached directly against the gunwale so 2" bolts will work. Attached show some of the damage - one broken rib and a few feet of broken planking - all fixed yesterday:) Overall, the canoe is in great shape. Also, for Howie info, it looks like red mahogany stain almost a perfect match for original stain on inner hull.
have a great day
joe

Attachments

• IMG_3768.JPG
    IMG_3768.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_3784.JPG
    IMG_3784.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_3807.JPG
    IMG_3807.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3812.JPG
    IMG_3812.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3813.JPG
    IMG_3813.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3814.JPG
    IMG_3814.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 311
Still need 4 - 2" Reed and Prince flat head bolts with nuts for the bow seat - I searched the internet but only found sizes up to 1 1/2"....any and all help greatly appreciated!

It looks like from 1944 thru 1946 no cane was used on the seats do to the war. Plywood is correct for a 1946 hunter canoe. Also, mahogany for seats and thwarts was an option to spruce. My seat and thwart are mahogany so, the bow seat will be framed mahogany.

thanks
joe

Still need 4 - 2" Reed and Prince flat head bolts with nuts for the bow seat - I searched the internet but only found sizes up to 1 1/2"....any and all help greatly appreciated!

It looks like from 1944 thru 1946 no cane was used on the seats do to the war. Plywood is correct for a 1946 hunter canoe. Also, mahogany for seats and thwarts was an option to spruce. My seat and thwart are mahogany so, the bow seat will be framed mahogany.

thanks
joe
I have three of the correct 2 inch bolts with nuts...and several 1 3/4. If these will help send me a PM with your address and I'll put them in the mail. The way the postal service is working these days you should receive sometime within the next year.

Thanks Dan
Thanks MGC (??)

Scrapmaker,
The 3 - 2" bolts with nuts will help greatly! Please send to:
Joe McGinley
315 Master St
Pottstown, PA 19464

Please also let me know what I owe including postage.
greatly appreciated!!!
have a great day
joe

Joe, I'll put the hardware in the mail for you....FOC.
I can still afford postage on a few screws and the screws are of no value to me. I don't intend to work on any more PY boats or canoes.
I'm happy that some of my squirreled away "treasures" are going to do something more that sit in my hardware collection.
Do you need any square nails?;)
Mike

Joe - just saw your first note mentioning Penn Yan decals. Yup, I have some - both the Indian type as well as Sailboat. Send me a note if still interested.
PY Indian Single.jpeg PennYan decal nbr 1 - 600dpi.jpg

Thanks Howie. I located decals at pennyanboats but quite expensive:-( What do you get for the sailboat decal?
thanks again
joe

$8 for 2 sound ok? I sell them in pairs because every once in a while I find they have trouble releasing the backing in the hot water.
These are opaque decal material printed by an ink jet printer. The ink is water soulable so I spray a clear lacquer on top the image to 'fix' it, but you'll need to cover with laquer or varnish once you've placed it on your deck. Sound ok?

A pair of decals would be great. My address is
Joe McGinley
315 Master St
Pottstown, PA 19464
Please provide your address and I will send out a check.
have a great evening
joe

Thanks Howie - check for $16.00 will be in the snail mail today.
have a great day - much appreciated
joe

Back