1937 Old Town Otca

I used Citristrip and liked it. Of course, it may take several applications and each one (after it works for hours or a whole day) needs to be washed off with water. In my case the stems were rotted and I had removed them, so I could just lift one end of the boat and water would run out the open other end. If you are just doing the interior and don't have the ends taken apart, you may need the canoe on its side or even upside down while you rinse it.

I am using Total Boat Paint Remover on a canoe I am currently working on. It works well, doesn't stink or burn your skin but does take a while. Brush it on, cover the area with plastic sheet so it doesn't evaporate so quick and wait. You can even wait overnight. Scrub it off with a stiff plastic bristle brush and water. Depending on what you are trying to remove it may take three applications. My Morris has gobs of yellow paint over green paint over the original varnish. I got it from Jamestown Distributors. It's not cheap. Have fun and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Back