1928 Penn Yan Ceestepper

DavidK

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I picked up a project boat this weekend. It's a 1928 Penn Yan step hydro. The canvas is gone and there's some damage to the cedar planking, along with a few other happenings, but it seems to be structurally sound. I have lots of questions but I'll start with a couple of photos

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-16 at 6.42.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-16 at 6.42.16 PM.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 129
Dang it, I just realized this forum is meant for canoes. If it seems inappropriately posted, go ahead and delete it, or move it. I hope the group will be interested anyway. -David

Last edited:
Very interesting boat! A lot of us have Penn Yan canoes and other Penn Yan boats. This one is certainly in the family and I think it's great you posted here. Hopefully you'll keep us posted on its restoration.

Thanks for the interest and encouragement. What made me think to post here is the similar materials and likely similar restoration techniques. It will be a long time before I'm ready to recover this thing but one of my first questions is how do you wrap those complex shapes in canvas? I'm familiar with the envelope technique of stretching and securing canvas on a canoe form. (familiar from a distance). This is more like origami. There are a few fragments of surprisingly lightweight fabric left on it. Lots to learn.

Tis wicked cool!
Where are you located? There may be WCHA folks around that could get you pointed in the right direction WRT canvasing it.

Tis wicked cool! You can say that again, i was moved to sign in just to say thats the koolest thing posted here is some time!

Reactions: MGC
Wow, Andre, similar "motor well." Here's a page from the 1928 Penn Yan brochure explaining the wisdom of those extensions at the transom.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 6.43.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 6.43.52 PM.png
    816.9 KB · Views: 64
I'm wonder where Mainers in the group source the thin sheets of cedar planking for repairing canoes and boats like this? Is it a particular kind of cedar? White or red?

David, you will need to look your boat over and decide which to use, red or white. The catalog you attached should also summarize the construction. To my eye, it looks like you may have red cedar planking but it could also be white. White cedar is far easier to work with and far more available in Maine so hopefully it's that.
For canoe repairs, I cut my own planking from a stock of white cedar boards I have on hand. I've also used red cedar to build canoes. The cedar came from cedar siding that was cut into ribs and planking. Hopefully you can avoid that. It is not fun.
On this site there is a listing of builders and suppliers. https://www.woodencanoe.org/builders-suppliers. You may contact those that are in your area and find out if they have the materials you need.
You can also source from mills but that requires some effort and a bit of luck. Most of the folks listed as builder/suppliers have spent many years figuring out sourcing from mills to get the right pieces when they show up. It is really hard to break into that.

Neat boat. Canvassing this boat appears to be a lot of fun. Penn Yan glued the canvas to all high- speed planing hulls, and obviously, this hull will need to be glued. Good luck with the project.

Back