Well its been a week in the sweat shop getting the outwales steamed, bent and fitted. This evening I got the second one on and tweaked to a fitting and position which I am happy with. Remember that I am bending 1" x 1" section with the rebate cut.
1. I really should have moved to Norfolk years ago as an extra hand and fingers would have been useful!
2. You never have enough clamps!
3. Steam is hot!
4. Old Brazilian mahogany does not really like steam and being bent.
The shape of the canoe looks good.
I will leave them now to set and get a bit of "memory" and when they are dry I will first start to shape them on the canoe to get the edge profile and round them off. I have kept two sections of the original outwales for reference; a centre section and an end. I can then mark out and trim the four ends down when I take them off the canoe. Before doing that I will work along the lengths, mark the high spots and the plane down the outwales and tidy the top of the planking so that they will fit down snug. I will also have to work out how they will fit with the outer stems which I will test fit soon. These are what I have kept for reference.
There is a fair bit to plane down, sand and remove to get to the profile so I have recessed the screws a fair bit so I don't bugger my planes. Where I have bent the wood, despite using numerous clamps and a metal backer, it interestingly created a small fold/crease on the top which will disappear as I fair it down. There was a slight split on one end on the inside face; I stuck a bit of epoxy in this and left it all to dry and that has held the split. I can make that vanish. All of the originals had creases and cracks in the same areas so clearly it's a mahogany issue.
The canoe was then hoisted back into the rafters.
The other thing I did was a tack count. For the canvassing with 50 ribs I will need 200. Add the stems and I think at about 300-350 in the bag I will have enough.
The canvas and the filler have arrived but they can sit there whilst I do the fairing, cleaning and hull prep. I will carefully check over all the tacks to make sure they are all tight as if I find one once the canvas is on it will be a bugger. I also got some Mylands shellac to start colouring the new wood to match the old.
That' s me done for a bit so this morning as the weather is looking fine, I loaded the Swift Osprey on the Land Rover and went to do a bit of otter spotting on the Little Ouse.
It was not a bad outing as you can see. I managed to leave a trail of cedar sawdust along the river
The otters were elusive but the Kingfishers were plentiful as were the deer.