Getting what I think is a Huron 14'?

jlraley

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all,

A friend is gifting me her family's old canoe, so that i can restore. I've built a bunch of skin boats (I'm building a skin version of a 1910 Saint Francis right now), and I'm excited to work on a proper canoe!

The canoe will be coming down from Canada in April with her parents. They think it's 14' and all I have to go on so far is the pics below. From my initial research I think it's a Bastien Bro's Huron. As you can see it has that distinctive breasthook (although on wood canvas canoes we call that the deck?).

Condition doesn't seem awful from the pics, but this is all I am getting until it comes down. She doesn't want to ask her dad to tromp out to the barn for more info right now.

The stems clearly need repair, but that seems pretty standard from what I've discovered. The gunwale's also seem to be in poor shape. In one picture it looks like the gunwale may even be splitting on center. It looks like it may have some cracked ribs, but I can't really tell in the pics.

I have the wood canvas canoe book coming while I wait eagerly. If it is a Huron am I correct in understanding that these are not particularly rare? I am also finding that the more recent ones aren't necessarily the best craftmanship to begin with?

I want to restore it for use as it and don't necessarily want a showroom antique.

Any thoughts from the pics? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting into.

I'll post the serial number as soon as I can see it.

Thanks,

John

cedar 1.jpg
cedar 2.jpg
cedar 3.jpg

Yes, it is a 14' Huron [ actually 13 1/2' ] circa 1970 built on their First Nations reserve in Quebec, Canada. This was a cottage industry and there were many family builders which included the Bastien brothers. It could have been built by any ok or not so great builders on the reserve. Most of these canoes were sold , as this one was, through Simpson Sears in Canada for about $200. They do not have serial numbers. Check out the June 12, 2014 WCHA canoe classifieds to see an original, unrestored Sears Huron canoe.

Thanks for the confirmation Dave. I had been trying to find something on that Canadian Canoe Association label, but didn't have enough to realize it was a Sears tag. Glad to have some idea what it is. Honestly I'm also happy to find out that it's not a treasure that I have to perfectly restore to showroom quality. I'll still strive to make it a nice boat.

That one from June 12 is amazing for its age. Did no one ever take it out for a real paddle. It looks mint!

Back