Shellac

If you apply the shellac first and then paint, you will be taping off on very fresh shellac. Even if you wait a week for the shellac to cure the tape residue will leave an impression in the shellac. Its not too big of a deal but its unsightly after all that work to get a uniform color. So I normally paint first and then shellac, but then you have to very careful not to let any shellac run off on to the fairly new paint. After about 30 seconds its almost impossible to clean it off without messing up the paint.
Fresh shellac is much easier to work with but I find the mixed store bought shellac will stay "fresh" for months.
Shellac still has a mind of its own and you have to remember it is not paint and will not look or act like paint.
Rollin
Crap.... I'm shellacking first... 
How many coats are normal when applied on newly cured filler??

I've always shellacked first - my thought is you can paint over the shellack but not so the reverse - if there is a need to correct the waterline. I've just started spraying and it makes a very nice finish. Just be careful as it runs very quickly if applied to heavy.
Dave

Back