Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

" modified " 1928 OT model HW

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by grant the ant, Apr 25, 2021.

1. grant the ant

grant the ant New Member

I'm a little hesitant in posting this in that it doesn't adhere to the pure concept of a wood and canvas restoration.
    Back in the mid 70's , I picked up an Old Town HW #97067up in New Hampshire for $200. A really nice boat , paddled well , and was easy to portage .
    Through neglect over the years and having to store it outside though, everything started to fall apart . Canvas deteriorated , and I tried glassing it on existing planking , which was a mistake .
    It was relegated to upper level on a canoe / lumber rack as I spent my time abusing ABS boats in whitewater and exploratory wilderness camping
    About 10 years ago , actually made some inwales from spanish cedar which I fastened in to help the boat hold somewhat of a form , but this winter , a snow laden branch managed to find it's way right through the middle of the boat
    I do custom woodwork professionally , but have no interior space to set it up and work on it . Decks were gone , stem ends were gone. outwales rotten 2/3 of the ribs were either broken or dry rotted at the ends . Every restorer I called or emailed said it sounded like a complete rebuild , Minimum 3- $4000 and 3-4 year backlog
    So I decided on a modification . I built a temporary frame to true the boat up, and took out every other rib
    After steam bending ash to make the interior stems, I used the ribs that were still in place as a form to build a cedar strip canoe . ( This is where most of the readers probably freak out and want to throttle me ).
    Living in MD , generally the mid Atlntic winters are not too bad and I was able to get enough days where the temps were warm enough for the planking glue to set up . Now I am waiting for consistently warm weather for the fiber glassing.
    Unfortunately , the only things I was able to salvage from the old boat were the interior stem ends with the serial # and the diamond head seat and thwart bolts . The stem ends are being used in the structure of the new boat and I will be able to use some of the brass bolts.
    I am new to the forum and don't know if I can post pictures of the progress, but if not I can send to individual emails on request
    Thnks, Grant the ant

Dave Wermuth likes this.
  2. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

Welcome Grant!

Sounds like you are into this pretty deep. Good luck on the project.

Zack

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  3. OP
    OP
    grant the ant

grant the ant New Member

Thanks Zach
    I really wish I could have kept more of the boat , but it was pretty much toast
    This weekend , I'm getting ready to glass it and then go through the whole refinish process on the inside
    My brother , in Portland ME has an old canoe which has been in the family for about 60 years . We believe it's an Old Town but can't find the ser# stamped in the interior stems . If he decides to recanvas and gunwale it , anybody you'd recommend in the NE?
    Thnks, Grant

1905Gerrish likes this.
  4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

I'm not Zach but the list at https://www.woodencanoe.org/builders-suppliers has a variety of restoration options in Maine and the rest of the world. Canoe restoration can be very personal so I would encourage your brother to contact several of these restorers and see which one he likes best. The suggestions at http://forums.wcha.org/index.php?threads/791/ may help uncover the serial number. Good luck,

Benson

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  5. OP
    OP
    grant the ant

grant the ant New Member

Well the old 28 hw imitation has ben glassed and I'm getting ready to start building the seats . In general, what are the locations of the seats . Would like the distance from the center of each seat to the tip of the prow ( or end of the deck ) When the old seats and gunwales were compltely gone ,I had no idea what I would be doing at the present and didn't even think of noting the distance back from the bow and stern.
    Thnks, Grant the Ant