OT 13' winter work

hornbeam

Forester
Happy Sapping season,
I am including some photos of the Old Town 13' Fifty pounder that was completed this winter. I wasn't able to take any before photos because my camera was broken. We stripped off fiberglass, replaced inner gunwales, 14 ribs, 25 lineal' of planking, stem ends, decks and then got carried away. The thwarts, handles and seat frame are curly hard maple. Having always wanted a solo canoe I modified it to my liking, the canvas is doubled at the waterline and we added 10 half ribs. The outer gunwales are white oak. The majority of the wood material came from the forest that I manage.
The work was completed by a group of Northwestern CT foresters who spend their Monday nights refurbishing wood/canvas canoes, this is the twelfth canoe we have completed, a 1914 OT 17' HW was also completed this winter. We have restored 3 canoes that were raffled for a local charity and now each forester in the group owns one or two restored/refurbished wood/canvas canoes.
Now that it's maple season Monday nights are spent in the sugarhouse!

Jody Bronson

Attachments

• 100_5763 (2).jpg
    100_5763 (2).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_5776.jpg
    100_5776.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 295
  • Deer 017.jpg
    Deer 017.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 305
Nice work Hornbeam.

I'm curious about the doubled canvas at the waterline. How was that accomplished?

Matt

Hi Matt,
We canvased the canoe with #12 canvas, Gluvit was used as a sealer. Before the Gluvit was worked into the fabric we pre-cut a football shaped piece of #10 canvas that extended length wise from stem to stem and hung down to waterline. Immediately after the first coat of Gluvit was worked into the canvased canoe we placed the #10 canvas over the area, then worked in another coat of Gluvit over the #10. It took a couple of days to dry. After a 60 grit sanding we applied another coat of Gluvit with micro-lite added to it, this is applied with Bondo style plastic spreaders. The micro-lite makes the Gluvit sandable. After drying and sanding a few times eventually the seam blends in. There is a total of four coats of epoxy.
I hope this explanation helps.GMF 2014 018.jpg

Jody

Back