I couldn't wait anymore. Today I pulled the screws that I used to pull the hull up to the strongback out. I'm very pleasantly surprised to see that the hunchback now has respectably clean lines. The "fix" actually worked. I have quite a bit more work to do on it so I'll probably put a few boards inside the hull and use a few pieces of wood to push against the inside rails (as suggested by Dan) to make sure it stays in place while I sand, clinch, varnish etc. I'm pretty astonished at the result.... Andre, the flame thrower will not be needed yet. I'll see if I can get a halfway decent picture of it to add to this post. I'll call this one a victory.