20 ft Restored Old Town Guide on ebay

birdbrain

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Well, I bought it. Item # 230432662835 on ebay for the minimum bid of $1500.

Please tell me I'm not crazy, I don't believe I've ever even seen a canoe this big. Can anyone tell me how their 20 ft guide handles?

"The canoe was manufactured in February 1968 (Canoe #179881), and restored in 2006 by Gilbert Cramer at the Wooden Canoe Shop in Bryan, Ohio."

This canoe is in Michigan and I'm in Kentucky, anyone heading this way who can pick it up for me or store it for a bit, I'm open for suggestions.

Best wishes.

20 feet wasn't that unusual a size when it came to the old-time guide canoes-- lots of room for "the sport" and all his gear, and the guide and his stuff and a dog too. It's a family-sized canoe... and not as big as a war canoe.

Gil Cramer is a long-time WCHA member and well-respected canoe restorer. You undoubtedly have a nicely-done canoe.

Kathy

Well, on the east coast anyway, even 18's are long in the BW/Q on some of the portages.

I've passed on a couple 20 ft'ers, just cause they are so big, and I prefer to be able to get up and down by myself.

For large rivers and places where you don't have to portage much they would be good.

And pics, we need pics,

Dan

BTW, where in MI is it? (I'm in Detroit) Though at this time, my garage is only 20 ft long.

If you copy and paste the item number into ebay search you can see 6 pictures. They don't really show any detail, I'm going by the fact that this has been professionally restored.

No, I don't plan on doing portaging with a canoe this size. I remember that a 20 footer draws less water than a shorter boat and therefore can go a little shallower. Not so nimble, though.

Well, on the east coast anyway, even 18's are long in the BW/Q on some of the portages.

I've passed on a couple 20 ft'ers, just cause they are so big, and I prefer to be able to get up and down by myself.

For large rivers and places where you don't have to portage much they would be good.

Dan

BTW, where in MI is it? (I'm in Detroit) Though at this time, my garage is only 20 ft long.

Dan,

Please be serious. 20 foot canoes have always been a work-horse canoe in the Northeast. In my time I have seen more 20 foot Whites than I have ever seen shorter ones. I have carried mine across the North East Carry, over Mud Pond Carry, Indian Carry, Racquette and Buttermilk Falls and more. I have suffered more with it than my smaller canoes, granted..but I haul it around and enjoy paddling it with a load. There is none finer. For smaller water, consider that my White draws very little water. It is not a barge!
The 20 foot Guide is also a fine canoe. It's a working canoe, just like the White's. You can haul a wood stove in it (have).
To suggest that a 20 footer is too much canoe, I take very strong exception to that.
And no, I do not have a set of wheels that I haul around, and yes, I do pass people with wheels on carries.
In fact, I have never been passed on a carry so apparently we have never been on the same path at the same time :)

The eBay seller is in Lansing (or so the listing states). Maybe someone who is going to the Quiet Water Symposium the first weekend in March would be able to pick it up and hold it, if the seller can wait a few weeks.

We are in the Upper Peninsula and tend to be held here by the weather, so are never sure if we can make it to the QWS until the weekend is nearly upon us.

Kathy

The seller has already mentioned the Quiet Water Symposium on March 6th to me, I'll probably come up that weekend and get the canoe. I've only wanted a w/c canoe since 1985 so this is a big step for me. I've never even portaged a canoe! I really like this forum, thanks so much to everybody.

I'd say you got a great deal on a great canoe. Lansing is an hour and a half from me and I am going to QWS. I have a barn and could store it for you if you can't make it up in March. Otherwise I hope to see you there.

I would have to guess that it weighs 100#. Not too bad for a strong young guy to tote around. But I am not too strong or too young anymore. I'd consider a trailer and/or cart.

MGC,

Seems like you are agreeing with me, I did say that they were commonly used on the east coast.

And again, on the rough portages in the BW/Q, you sure don't want a 20 ft'er, much too long. I've been on portages that it was tough to get a 17 ft'er through.

Also, shallow water isn't much of a problem in the lake country of the BW/Q, where you're much more likely to be in 100 ft of water rather then 6".

BTW, wheels are not legal in the BW/Q, not that they'd be much good anyway.

"on the east coast anyway"

Dan

I'd say you got a great deal on a great canoe. Lansing is an hour and a half from me and I am going to QWS. I have a barn and could store it for you if you can't make it up in March. Otherwise I hope to see you there.

I would have to guess that it weighs 100#. Not too bad for a strong young guy to tote around. But I am not too strong or too young anymore. I'd consider a trailer and/or cart.

Dave,

Really appreciate the response. I'm not as strong and not as young as I used to be, that's part of the reason I was looking for comments on this purchase. But I do think it is a good deal on a great canoe, that's why I put in the bid.

Thanks for the info about attending the QWS and your barn, will definitely keep it in mind. I have four kids and two grandkids, never sure if I'm free or not..... Hopefully I will meet you at QWS.

I also estimate it at 100 lbs, I used to carry backpacks that approached 100 lbs, but that was a generation ago.

Yes, it should weight 100 lb. Here is the catalog info. I was just wondering the other day when this one was going to sell. $1500.00 was a nice price, Congratulations!

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Attachments

• 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 460
  • page-07.jpg
    page-07.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 466
Yes, it should weight 100 lb. Here is the catalog info. I was just wondering the other day when this one was going to sell. $1500.00 was a nice price, Congratulations!

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Really appreciate it. Thanks for the catalog views, really enjoy that.

Curt Welling
Versailles, KY

20' OLD TOWN WOOD CANVAS GUIDE CANOE RESTORED
What is the back story? I see this is back up on eBay.

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

I ask the seller the same question.

I was informed the buyer had a family issue come up and had to backout. Therefore, it's back on the market.....not sure why the price is higher though...

We'll I can be curious too. :)

Though I suspect we all know why.

The higher price might be the only mystery, but then, the seller might be thinking that, if 1 person bid, that was evidence of interest, and he could get more $$ for it.

Actually, one of the canoes I've considered for my "collection" is the 18.5 White Guide, just because they were widely used and thought of, (and would have one now if circumstances were different) and I've even very briefly considered a War Canoe, but common sense brought me back on that one. :)

Dan

ebay ended

I just noticed the 20' OT on ebay has ended with no bids. Seems like a good deal still, even with the extra hundred bucks tacked on. I suspect the Michigan economy has something to do with it in addition to the reluctance of folks to consider such a large canoe. If I didn't already have two 18'ers ---

Guide Canoe

I have a 20 ft Guide model and it is my favorite canoe. Whoever paddles that canoe can easily out distance my other shorter wooden canoes and all those ugly aluminum tanks. Nice canoe!

Back