Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

1972 16' Chestnut Prospector 'Fort'

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Howie, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

Yesterday I picked up this 1972 16' Chestnut Prospector 'Fort' gifted to me by a very nice/generous WCHA fella in North Carolina (thanks again Gene!). His buddy schlepped it up from NC while on the way to pick up his brand new canoe in the Adirondacks.

20210607_162043.jpg 20210608_085031.jpg 20210608_085052.jpg 20210608_085113.jpg

* It has a serial # stamped into the front stem. Best I can make out is 43311. This make sense?
    * I don't imagine the center thwart/yoke is original. Can someone tell me the proper size of the center thwart?... like the bolt-to-bolt distance. I'm wondering if this one is too long which might explain why the scarf cut of 3 of the rails have split open.
    * I really like the color of the interior. Does someone know how to mix a matching color today?
    * And were these things varnished on the inside? It looks like bare wood to me...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. Pook

Pook Chestnut Canoe fan

Hi Howie,

The serial number is in the right range- though you might want to confirm whether that is "43311" or "45311".
    I have a 1971 Fort ( purchased July 1971 for $318Cdn!!!) SN 45285.

And mine still has centre thwart- no yoke- so I will measure that distance for you.

And yes the interior was varnished but lightly. They didn't have the high gloss multi coats seen on some other watercraft. These were working canoes and built for function not necessarily show.

Cheers Bruce
    IMG_0982.JPG

3. Pook

Pook Chestnut Canoe fan

Howie,

Bolt to bolt distance measured on centre thwart of my Fort is 31 3/4 inches.
    Hope that helps.

Cheers!

4. OP
    OP
    Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

Bruce (Pook): Can you take a tape measure to your seats for me?

So I've come to the conclusion that my seats were made wrong. Maybe they were meant for a shorter canoe. I've attached a pic of my seats with the lengths written for the 1st & last slats. If they are hard to read they are: 28-1/2" & 26" for the front seat, 20-3/8" & 15-1/4" for the rear. Any chance you can get the measurements off your canoe?

5. samb

samb LOVES Wooden Canoes

Can't even see the picture, never mind read your writing!

Aaah - see it now - on the other thread.

6. Pook

Pook Chestnut Canoe fan

Howie,

Two issues:
    My fort has cane seats not slat seats. Not sure if they are same width or not. My Pal has slat seats, however.

And I keep the Fort at the lake and won't be able to measure the seat widths- if you want them- for at least 10 days.

Can you wait?

Bruce