Center Thwart

Fritz Koenig

get out and put in
I have what someone told me was "a real nice caoe". He told me this because can't say for sure what it is. No diamond head bolts...bolt holes are plugged. No serial number..Stems replaced. Speculation is that it is a 191? OT Charles River. It is missing the center thwart and I aim to make one but not sure what it should look like. I wondered if someone might have one they could trace on a piece of newspaper or something and send it to me.

I think the center profile of the thwarts are the same, just the length on the ends are adjusted to fit.

What Length?

I have a 1914 OT Charles River 16 footer and it never had a center thwart. It was designed to allow for a place for the young lady to sit. It is a courting canoe. The longer canoes likely had a thwart.

Yes, the 16 foot Old Towns generally lacked a center thwart, but the 17' and 18' models usually had a center thwart attached with wingnuts for easy removal. Unfortunately, this also meant easy loss, as you now know. If yours is an Old Town from the earlier days, it would have countersunk bolts covered with bungs as you describe. The thwart style changed at about the time that they went to diamond-head bolts. The earlier thwarts are plainer, in a sense, but I think they are much more graceful than the later ones (and then they got even less graceful later on when they were shaped with a sharp edge along the top of the thwart).

If you email me a photo of the existing thwarts, I can trace an appropriate center thwart. As Mike is C. said, the center thwart is a longer version of the quarter thwarts, but the profile shape is not identical- the profile is lengthened; otherwise, the center thwart would have the same center profile with longer square ends. This is not the case- the shaped profile is carried farther out, giving the center thwart a more graceful shape than if it had long square ends. Again, email an address and send (or post) photos and I can send you a tracing.

Michael

Will do

Thanks I'll send it tonight or tomorrow. I just have one thwart which was broken but I have spliced in a repair. I'll send you a picture of that. I have copied it for the other quarter thwart.

picture

Here is a pictue of the remaining spliced thwart.
100_67752.jpg

Michael Grace said:
The earlier thwarts are plainer, in a sense, but I think they are much more graceful than the later ones (and then they got even less graceful later on when they were shaped with a sharp edge along the top of the thwart).

About what years were these changes made?

Back