Would Like ID

smallboatshop

Restorers
Hanging in New Hampshire. Obviously been used some over the years but those little nubs at the ends of the decks look like something - Stephenson??

Sorry that there isn't more to go on.

Dan

Attachments

• Bow Deck.jpg
    Bow Deck.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Half ribs.jpg
    Half ribs.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Stern.jpg
    Stern.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 223
I don't think it is a Stephenson - his canoes would have (as far as I know) a single lobe deck with attached "ears." See the attached photo from a Stephenson in the collection of the Canadian Canoe Company.

Attachments

• P7190069.jpg
    P7190069.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 164
We have seen a couple of Stephenson's that have had his distinctive thwarts and different decks - not the one above, though. One was a regular heart shaped deck.
Part of his build was to rabbet the inwale to accept the full thickness of the ribs and then insert filler pieces into the rabbet between the rib tips, thus filling up the space. Each filler piece was a bit different in length.

Dan from Denmark,
Tough pics for a ID. How about a few more pics in the sun? From what I can see, a odd combination of a later open wale canoe with earlier style wrapped seats. Nothing mortised? Looks like caps on the open wales Gerrish style? I don't think its a Stephenson either. I've seen name plates on Stephenson's though I realize some of the decks are covered? Half ribs are a obvious feature on this canoe and should help with the ID. Seen a few Stephenson's around Fryeburg over the years.
Zack

Last edited:
I have no idea but please let me know if you figure it out. My guess would be home made or from one of the smaller builders. There have been hundreds of builders in Maine alone as you probably know well. Many of them are shown at http://wcha.org/catalogs/maine-list.htm but only a few of them can be easily identified. Good luck,

Benson

Back