Would like help identifying origin and age of my Dugout Canoe

CindyG

Hi,
I would love your help identifying the origin and possible age of my Dugout canoe.

I purchased it from a woman who said, it had been in her family from the 1940’s. She said, her great grandfather made the canoe into a bookshelf.

I was hoping you all may know something about it.

Thank you for your help!
Cindy G

Attachments

• IMG_5251.jpeg
    IMG_5251.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5260.png
    IMG_5260.png
    950.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5263.png
    IMG_5263.png
    649.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5264.png
    IMG_5264.png
    843.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 55
I'm not at all sure how any meaningful information can be produced. This appears to be a partial canoe that has been significantly modified, painted multiple times, had most of the paint (and some of the canoe's surface) sanded off, and more. Plus we don't know where it came from. Location history might help a little, but these canoes have been moved, sometimes very great distances, by collectors. And dugouts were made across huge swaths of the world's geography. In short, there just doesn't appear to be anything here to go on. I wish there were better news for you.

I agree with Michael's comments that identifing and dating this will be a challenge. Dendrochronology and/or Radiocarbon dating may offer something but these will probably require significant modifications and expense. The first two links below have more information. The third link has more details about a birch bark canoe that was carbon dated. The short summary is that Carbon-14 dating really isn’t very accurate for things that are only a few hundred years old. Good luck and please let us know what you find if you ever get additional information about this dugout. Good luck,

Benson

Back