White cedar source

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
After restoring mant canoes over the last 12 years, I have decided to build a couple canoes from scratch with my son. We have purchased plans from Stewart Boat Works for the Chestnut 16' Pal. Right now we are just about done with the form and will starting the canoes shortly. I have never needed this quantity of white cedar for ribs and planking before and have a few questions. First, how do I determine how much wood I need for each canoe ( I can resaw to the sizes that I need). second, what are some sources that others use in the southern New England area, and finally what are other species of wood could be used for the planking. Thanks Joe

Joe,
I’m sure Alex Comb could give you an idea of how much cedar is needed. Typically ribs are white cedar, and planking could be either red or white cedar on a new build. As you may know, red cedar is tough to bend for ribs. That’s why white is preferred.
Sorry I can’t help you with sources, however you may be able to get red cedar for planking at a quality lumberyard (not big box) in 6x6 or 4x6 timbers. That’s how I get my red cedar.

Atlantic White Cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides) can be significantly more difficult to steam bend than Eastern White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis). This has been a source of considerable frustration for many wooden canoe builders. Good luck,

Benson

Good question. It takes work and network to get northern white cedar. Less than one per cent of the harvest is suitably clear. And there are still small knots to work around. When I start a new build I start by pulling down 20 boards. Half for ribs, half for planks. The boards are rough sawn 1" x 6" more or less and 8' long. Scour your local small sawmills. Craig's and marketplace. Also look for an Amish sawmill near you. Getting quarter sawn is impossible. Western red cedar can be ordered in bulk and you have a better chance of getting real good clear stuff. I paid $7bd/ft years ago. My white cedar was way cheaper. I don't know where I got the notion, but I seem to recall that, rule of thumb was 100bd/ft and 100 hours of labor.

Atlantic cedar makes good planking. I also re-saw western red cedar decking available at lumber yards.

Back