What sealants to use?

Jpatten

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I found this board looking for answers on what sealants to use on a wood canvas canoe and from reading a few post I think I am in the right place.

Some history first: My dad gave me his wood canvas canoe made by Shell Lake Boat Co. He bought it back in the late 40's and has had it ever since. I was 5 or 6 years old when I first started paddling it. It is still all original with the original canvas. He did refinish the wood on the inside so it looks great.

Now the question: It leaks a little. Looking at the bottom of the boat you see some cracking of the filler material not real bad though. Also, there are about 5 small holes in the canvas that I found. What can I use to seal the holes and should I use some sort of sealer along the keel?

It probably should have the canvas replaced but I don't have a place or the knowledge to do it nor do I want to spend the money at this time.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

When you say "bottom of the of the boat" do you mean that you are looking at it from the outside?...you shouldnt be able to see the filler from the inside....If you can see the filler...look for "alligatoring"....cracked filler and paint...If you see cracked filler...its time to re-canvas it!...60 years was a good long life for that canvas and filler!....Good luck...maybe someone with a good suggestion will jump in here and give you some ideas....I would personally surrender and take on the task of re-canvassing or find someone in your area to do it...Any canoe thats been in the family that long should stay with that family!

It sounds like your canoe needs a canvas job. There is a chapter in your area of WCHA members. Re-canvasing is not that expensive or difficult and some of us would likely be willing to help you with the project. We recently had a chapter gathering in Pittsburgh at which a canoe was recanvased. Viking is right, if that canoe has been in your family that long, it's worth doing the job right and giving it another 60 years of useful life.

Joe,

I echo what everyone else has said. A shell lake is a nice boat and any "temporary" fix may actually do more harm than good.

You can do patches with ambroid cement and bits of canvas, but that is a step for when you hole the boat on a trip and need to keep the dry parts dry and the wet parts wet until you get home!

Mike

Thanks for all of your reply's. Yes, I am looking at the bottom of the boat from the outside and there is cracked filler and paint. Looks like I have my answer. I guess I knew the answer deep down but just wasn't ready to trust my instinct.

The canoe will definitley stay in the family. That's how I ended up with it. I do want to start using this boat so I will need to figure out a way to get it re-canvassed. Probably the best way to start is to join WCHA. Does anyone now anyone in or around the Pittsburgh area that would re-canvass it?

Send me an e-mail by using the members list link above. We'll see what we can cook up. I am listed under the "A's."

We have a great local chapter. I'm sure we can help. Call me (412) 831-7066 at my shop in Bethel Industrial Park. Leave a message if I don't pick it up. I'll call you back. As Andy indicated, we had a great canvassing session a couple of months ago and Fred C. did much of the presentation.

Fred,
I live in Bridgeville, PA which is probably about 1 1/2 hours away. You can contact me by e-mail at joejospatten@verizon.net

Max,
I sent Don Bottman an e-mail inquiring about the local chapter and he has already replied with a bunch of info. I will give you a call.

All I can say is WOW about this group. I have never seen so many people willing to help. I don't think I will have any problems getting this canoe fixed and back in the water.

Welcome to one of the nicest communities around! Put a little cedar dust in the air and people emerge.

Jpatten said:
Fred,
I live in Bridgeville, PA which is probably about 1 1/2 hours away. You can contact me by e-mail at joejospatten@verizon.net

Max,
I sent Don Bottman an e-mail inquiring about the local chapter and he has already replied with a bunch of info. I will give you a call.

All I can say is WOW about this group. I have never seen so many people willing to help. I don't think I will have any problems getting this canoe fixed and back in the water.

You won't find nicer people anywhere than WCHA and the Three Rivers Chapter.

Max

Is there any chance you can take a few pictures of it NOW! (as is) I would love to see it....not familiar with the Shell Lake canoe and wonder what style it is!............ALSO....If you get that chance, dont just hire someone to do...get your feet wet and get involved from start to finish. By that time you will have a nose full of cedar dust and when its finished and you step back and take that look of satisfaction and pride...Then the cedar dust will have worked up to your brain, numbed your senses, and the craving will set in to get another,then another,then another, and you will suddenly realize that your a CANOE NUT just like the rest of us:D

Blue Viking said:
Is there any chance you can take a few pictures of it NOW! (as is) I would love to see it....not familiar with the Shell Lake canoe and wonder what style it is!

I will try and get some photo's next week and post them up.

Blue Viking said:
ALSO....If you get that chance, dont just hire someone to do...get your feet wet and get involved from start to finish. By that time you will have a nose full of cedar dust and when its finished and you step back and take that look of satisfaction and pride...Then the cedar dust will have worked up to your brain, numbed your senses, and the craving will set in to get another,then another,then another, and you will suddenly realize that your a CANOE NUT just like the rest of us:D

That is the exact reason I inquired about hiring it done. I need another hobby/addiction like I need another hole in the head. LOL (The wife might put that other hole in my head if I start collecting canoes. LOL)

My current hobby is jeeps. I have a 1946 CJ-2A that I got from my uncle. He bought it brand new in 46. It still need a lot of work at this point. That jeep led to the purchase of an 82 CJ-7 and my wife keeps catching me looking for other jeep models to buy on the computer. I can see that happening with canoes now.

Last edited:
I beg your pardon....

Not to get TOO competitive with the Three Rivers Chapter, but I must say it is already well established that the Great Rivers Chapter people are are nicest. Perhaps some guidelines need to be established by our Chapter Coordinator Al Bratton on the appropriate methods for gauging whether you have out-niced your neighboring chapter or not. We take pride in our fights over who can love the new member the most. :)

Blue Vicking,

Here are some picture of the shell lake.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1635_2.jpg

Back