What do I have and what’s it’s worth?

SAS

I am tasked with liquidating some property and have two wooden canoes I would like to know more about. One is a Great Canadian. It also has a marine Corps emblem. Looks like someone fiberglassed the bottom so I guess that devalues it? First 3 images
The second I was informed was made in 1898. Unsure by who. Last two images.

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1654.jpeg
    IMG_1654.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 125
Your Great Canadian was likely fiberglassed at the factory. I’ve worked on a couple and found them to be a bit crudely built when compared to most of the older classics. Probably 20-30 years old. Not a lot of value to an informed buyer.
The other canoe looks interesting. More photos would help to identify it. Deck, seat, thwart and seat photos should do it. Also check for a serial number that would generally be stamped on the fore and aft stems.

Reactions: SAS
It's tough to make an accurate assessment from a few photos, but here are a few ideas. Others may chime in with their opinions too.

I think your Great Canadian was probably fiberglassed when it was built, and it may have had more 'glass added to it since then. I've never been in the market for one of these so don't know as well as some others might, but I don't think these are highly sought-after (at least not like some of the historic builders or modern canoes from some of the true artisan shops). On top of all that, this particular Great Canadian looks like it might be in pretty rough condition even if it is still all intact. Most added decals, even one from the Marines, will have no affect on value.

The other canoe, almost certainly not from 1898 but more likely from the teens to the 1930s or so, could be a fairly desirable model. It has open gunwales and long-ish decks. It's a stylish canoe and looks like attention was paid to finer details. The trim is likely mahogany, which is great. Without some detail shots, identifying its maker is problematic. It could be from any number of respected builders, likely from the northeastern US or the upper midwest. It's not a Morris. Could be Old Town, or possibly a very fancy (and rare) E.M. White, or.... many possibilities. Hanging as it is could have damaged some of its structure, but it appears that a bigger problem may be that its hull was fiberglassed at some point (this would have been a cedar-canvas canoe).It may not be 'glassed but it sure looks like it. If so, that dramatically devalues the canoe for most would-be buyers.

I wish I had better news, but I encourage you to post detail photos of the one with the long decks. With them, the maker and possibly the model probably can be identified, and watchers here can give a better assessment of its condition.

Michael

Reactions: SAS
The one I was told was older was handmade by a canoe builder guy. My source could not remember the name. Think he was out of Sacramento. Thanks for the date info. I didn’t think it was that old. When I manage to pull it off the ceiling perhaps I will find out more.

Great Canadian canoes were available until recently. I don't know its value.

The planking pattern and diamond headed bolts on the other canoe suggest Carleton. If so, it has a serial number on both stems. If it has not be fiberglassed,it is likely worth $200-$500 in the midwest.

Back