WCHA classifieds

davelanthier

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I noticed that the " specialty boat " section is down to only 7 listings. I assume that all the previous ads have now expired. Since I have found WCHA classifieds a great reference source is there any way of accessing the old expired ads?

The classifieds software is supposed to purge the expired ads on a regular basis. It hadn't been, and there was some frustration expressed with following up on older ads only to find emails weren't valid or boats were long-ago sold. So they have been manually purged. Either the software will be reset to delete expired ads or we will purge them occasionally. There is no way to go back and look at the expired ads. Sorry.

It would be helpful if folks would delete their ads after they've sold their items...

Dan is correct that there is no way to go back and look at the expired advertisements in the current software but I do have some crude backups of the classifieds if you are looking for something in particular. These are over 3700 messages dating back to January 1999. Let me know what you are seeking and I may be able to help.

Benson

Thanks fellas

I'm not looking for anything specific right now but here's an example. I have almost completed the restoration of a 20' Chestnut Ogilvy V stern which I plan to sell. Didn't have a clue what to ask for it but after researching the classifieds I concluded it should be in the $3000 + price range.

I have not found any other classified listings for an Ogilvy so I can't help you with that one. Good luck,

Benson

You know, we can't win...

Not purged - good resource for value of old canoes, but full of expired junk.

Purged - no longer a good resource for value of old canoes, and no longer full of expired junk...

-t

Thanks Benson

No Chestnuts but there were a few some what comparable Old Towns. Anybody else think they know what it's worth?

It is possible to view many old websites or expired pages through the web archive. You can actually browse through something like 85 billion web pages archived from 1996 to a few months ago.
Just a matter of how much time you have on your hand. :)

Go to www.archive.org/web/web.php to surf the internet wayback machine, type in the web address of the site you would like to see, and press enter. Then select from the archived dates available.

There are quite a selection of dates covering old pages of WCHA. Unfortunately, old forum posts allow a look back only in some cases.

Cheers
Dick

Last edited:
Very Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that leads to the next question. Will this site have all the pre-crash WCHA information?

Great news I hope!...............Benson......Is there any way that I could possibly find an ORIGINAL H.H. Hosmer for a potential client?....he is well versed in the HOSMER family and does not want a secnd or third generation version....He indicated that it MUSt have the Little brass plate identifying as the frst generation version....he lives in Norway and is totally familar with G. Peterson and HH Hosmer...thanks in advance for any information .....Jump on board this request if anyone else out there has some input

OOPS.....meant to say ....GEROGE STEPHENSON... not Pererson...dont know where that came from....According to information Hosmer and Stepenson were at one time connected and then Hosmer went on his own. This gentleman is possibly a relative and has more information than the Norway historical Society!.

The short answer is no, I don't know of anyone with an any version of an H.H. Hosmer canoe to sell but I will let you know if I trip over one. My interests are more focused on Old Town canoes so I don't pay as much attention to the others. Good luck,

Benson

Back