War Canoe ID

rbandy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I picked up my last canoe for awhile (I swear), today. Old Town # 132733. She's a whopper. Love to see the card if anyone has the time? DSC_0018.jpg

LAST CANOE????
If you believe that I would recomend a twelve step program. ( One canoe per step )

Could I please talk you into posting (or sending me) a few detailed pics of the decks? I have one, but it is sans decks. Yours look to be original, and pics would sure help me to restore mine!

Thanks!

Hello-- Old Town 132733 is a 25 foot CS (common sense or middle) grade War model canoe finished June-November 1941 with open spruce gunwales, a keel and dark green paint. It was shipped to YWCA Camp Onanda in Canandaigua, NY, on June 1, 1942. Image of the scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Looks like fun!

Kathy

Attachments

• ot132733.jpg
    ot132733.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 262
I think I'm addicted. Thanks a bunch Kathy. Two pictures for you Mark. The decks look like planking stock to me. They run down alittle at the ends, I guess to bear the weight better on the ground. Kind of makes a more rounded stem deck joint. I really don't know if they are original but everything else appears to be.

ReidDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0005.jpg

Mark, I can certainly give you better shots of the structure as I open her up. Reid

The decks look like replacements to me. Originals would have been 1/4" maple or birch, put on in two halves with a covering board down the center. There would also have been a coaming.

The Carleton I just got has 30in decks as well and I agree with Dan that the decking on the war canoe is certainly not original. The structure looks right. The inwales are reduced to accept a coaming. It appears that the inner piece that backs up the King plank was rounded over a bit and the stem shortened about an inch probably to remove or reduce decay in that area and then the whole thing covered with planking. There is a side plank on the left front that has no canvas tack marks in it to, another sign of non original work. She was a "Naked-Hanger", for the past 29 years. Looking to get her right and back on the water. Thanks for the link to the other thread, Dan. Those shots are a great help to me...

ReidDSC_0033.jpgDSC_0031.jpgDSC_0024.jpg

Mark,
I've finally started our '31 OT War Canoe. I'm almost certain we're looking at original, hope these pics help. Let me know if you'd like a different look, I have plenty.
Dave Davidson

Attachments

• War Canoe 004.jpg
    War Canoe 004.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 254
  • War Canoe 006.jpg
    War Canoe 006.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 257
  • War Canoe 009.jpg
    War Canoe 009.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 253
  • War Canoe 014.jpg