Vintage Old Town 10’ Double Paddle Questions

Kershawman

I just acquired this vintage Old Town double paddle. It is the 10’ long version and appears to still have the original finish. I am looking for an original copper tip guard to replace the one that is missing. Also, I saw that these double paddles come in several lengths, this one being the largest. Would this paddle have been used like a kayak paddle? I am thinking that it could have been used like a stand up paddle too. I would appreciate any thoughts or information on this paddle. Thanks in advance.
IMG_3181.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpeg
    IMG_3182.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3183.jpeg
    IMG_3183.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 43
Welcome and congratulations, the related thread at the first link below may interest you. These copper tips shown up on eBay and other auctions occasionally but it would probably be easiest to just make a replacement from some copper sheet. Another option would be to contact a metal worker or someone like the Springfield Fan Centerboard company or Shaw & Tenney at the links below to see if they would make one. These were commonly used like kayak or standing paddles. The decal indicates that yours was probably made in the 1970s. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide,

Benson

Last edited:
Back