Update on paddle #810

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Paddle #810 was presented to me at Assembly by James Raffan, Executive Director of the Canadian Canoe Museum. This is one of the paddles active in the "Paddle to the Sea" project of National Canoe Day (Canada).

It was used by several people in the group paddle to the Peterborough Lift Lock during Assembly. Alex Guthro was heading to the Arctic shortly afterward, so I passed it to him to take along. See his story and photos about paddle #810 here;
http://www.nationalcanoeday.net/
Alex passed the paddle along to former Outdoor Ed. students of mine Ty & Tomiko who have lived in the Northwest Territories for several years (now in Yellowknife) in hopes it will make it's way to the Arctic Ocean.

Rob

Rob,

As I've been professionally involved with canoes and paddles for many years, I find it amazing that I have NEVER heard of National Canoe Day, or this paddle project. OK, yes, you did mention something about the paddle, but I had no idea what you were referring to at the time.

(Rhetorically) How can something like this have escaped my attention? Am I so out of touch, or are they not doing a very good job at communicating? It seems that lots of other people have heard of it.

Maybe I really do live in a backwater...

Ya, I know, I hadn't heard of "Paddle to the Sea" or "National Paddle Day" either, until Assembly.

I have participated in a Heritage River Day event. If you want find out about this annual event, you have to dig deep into the Canadian Heritage Rivers System website to find that it is held June 8th.

Both events would benefit from better promotion.

Rob

Me and Doug both.
Though I did make it to Assembly.
I just read my email from 2 weeks ago.
Doesn't your backwater flow somewhere Doug or is it that time of the year when Canoe Builders are your best friend and the Red covers everything in sight.
How did the racing canoe work out or was that a classic never heard from again boat?
John

Hi John,

My little river, the Seine River (alas not the Parisian one!) flows west to meet the mighty Red River in the Winnipeg neighbourhood of St. Boniface, just downstream of the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers.

Autumn in not the time that we worry about flooding!

I'm working on the second NRC canoe. Its having a few modifications from the first, mostly lowering the stem and stern sheer heights. I have only heard feedback from the client whose boat I am working on now. The first didn't get used in the races as the training time available was too short. As any athlete, familiarity with your equipment is essential.

It is nice when you hear back from people who have ordered canoes. Very nice.

Back