Untreated Canvas

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
I am recanvasing an OT double ender and have to use 72" wide canvas which isn't preshrunk or treated. Any recomendations would be appreciated, especially what product anyone uses to treat the canvas and where it is available. It was recomended I spray the canvas with "wood preservative" after it is on the canoe.
Thanks.

Craig,

There is a product available in Canada but not here. On my last trip up there Andre and Rob took me to a hardware store where the stuff was readily available. It's a clear liquid which will serve as a fungicide. I may be heading up that way in the not too distant future and could probably bring you back a gallon of the stuff.

It's zinc naphthanate, sold at Home Hardware as rope and canvas preservative, comes in clear and green colours.

It's highly toxic, so use it only outside and wear respiratory protection.

Last edited:
My local source for canvas offers the untreated stuff. He recommends using two 1-gallon sized packets of ADD-2 or Krud-Cutter mildewcide to one gallon of filler/mud. Before stirring the mud I pour a little into a small plastic container & mix with the mildewcide until the lumps go away, then add back to the rest of the mud and start stirring again as normal. You can get the stuff at HomeDepot or through eBay. Active ingredient is a big word that starts with 'Thiaz' and ends with 'azole'.

Back