Unknown canoe that came to Sweden during WW2

Mats Ottosson

Hi there. I have in my custody here in Sweden a wood/canvas canoe that my father bought from a friend when he was young in the 1950:s. The story goes that it was brought to Sweden from Canada by a couple of canadian airforce-pilots that landet here by accident during WW2. I have no clue if the story is true or not. Does anyone recognize the type?
/Mats

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_4230.jpg
    IMG_4230.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 384
Welcome to the group Mats,

Interesting canoe. I've seen a lot of canoes and own a bunch too, but don't think this was built by a known commercial builder. It does have nice lines that could be Canadian or U.S. but never seen ribs that big or the plank screwed to the ribs. It does have similarity to the building of a small boat with wider ribs and plank screwed to the ribs, but no canoe builder.

The stem profile is more US than Canadian and definitely a pleasure canoe not a working canoe.

Could be home built by a boat/canoe builder.

I notice the bottom is a bit on the round side and have never seen thwarts like that in a boat or a canoe.

Have fun,

Paul

Thanks Paul. Interesting information indeed. I just found out that during WW2 a camp for american airforce pilots was situated in the little place in Sweden where my father later bought the canoe. The camp had a lot of canoes that was bought from all the neighbouring towns and my canoe is probably one of those.
I understand that the thwarts look strange :) My father made his own rather crude ones after the original ones broke.
/Mats

How far from the border?
My uncle taught me to kayak and Canoe. He was a British Commando during WW2 and did several missions in Norway, but mostly with kayaks, but he did say he trained with Canadians in Canoes, just wondering if it's just a coincidence.

Back