Unidentified Wood and Canvas Canoe

Juliana

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My father purchased a beautiful wood and canvas canoe not sure the exact date. It is a solo canoe and the only identifying feature I found was ”Mills Solo 1-3”. He said he purchased it in Minnesota but his memory may not be 100% correct. Anyone recognize this?
IMG_6715.jpeg

More pictures! I'm assuming that's the underside of a deck which is pictured. It doesn't tell us much. Thanks for posting, it's always fun to ID a new hull.

I was just given the responsibility of researching my Dad’s canoes and trying to get some rough estimates on value. He said this particular canoe was “Ravenswood 13-foot , solo wood/canvas canoe, custom built in Minnesota (see website for Ravenswood Canoe) circa 1988. Excellent condition, blue”. More photos to come.

Also a 1962 Chestnut Bob’s Special Fredrikton, New Brunswick wood and Canvas. He said something about it needing to be soaked and the wood “swelled”? It was paddled a couple years ago but remember by brother doing a little bailing;)
My dad is 85 and not paddling anymore. It is hard for him to part with them as we have great memories and many canoe trips logged in them. Right now they are in my garage near Charleston, S.C.

Issue number 41 of Wooden Canoe magazine from 1990 had the following listing for Scott MIlls and Raven Boats.

1699396854145.png

The information at the link below and similar canoes listed at https://www.woodencanoe.org/classifieds should give you an idea of how to value them. Good luck,

Benson

Last edited:
Makes sense since my father Dave Harrison was the former owner and editor of Canoe and Kayak Magazine. I am sure he researched the product well.

I am going to rinse the canoes off and get some good photos but here is the logo.
View recent photos.jpeg

my father Dave Harrison was the former owner and editor of Canoe and Kayak Magazine

Juliana, I can't help with valuation any more than above. But please tell your father hello and best wishes from an old canoeist he doesn't know, who loved and was motivated by Canoe Magazine for many years . . . many years ago.

Back