Two Kennebecs

Peter Shaw

I have two Kennebecs on which I would love further information. Number 15749 I inherited from Dad who found it floating with just its stern and bow above water, bobbing in the weeds, where it had evidently been for some time, as the canvas was mostly off. He semi- restored it, but now it needs a visit to Rollin Thurlow, or some similar genius. The other is # 17462, which my great grandfather I think bought direct from Kennebec. It got strenuous use in his boys camp and is now also in need of serious restoration. Thanks in advance for any help!

Peter

The Kennebec canoe with serial number 15749 is shown on page 187 of volume three in the Kennebec ledgers. This was assigned to a 17 foot long Kennebec model type A. It was planked by Murray on January 7th, 1922. The canvas covering was put on by Tuttle on January 14th, 1922 and first filler coat was applied by Chamberlain on the same day. Grant applied the second filler coat on June 17th, 1922. It was railed by King on the same day. There is a mark in the color column but the rest of the line is blank so the shipping date and destination are not known.

The Kennebec canoe with serial number 17462 is shown on page 215 of volume three in the Kennebec ledgers. This was assigned to an 18 foot long Kennebec model type A with no keel and "special" decks and braces (thwarts). It was planked by Cameron on November 24th, 1923. The canvas covering was applied by Tuttle on the same day. The first filler coat was applied by Grant on December 1st, 1923. It was railed by Huard(?) on May 31st, 1924. The original paint was Birch Bark Color(?) with Cobbosseccontee on both sides of the bow in stock letters. It shipped on June 28th, 1924 to location "24-369". This location is probably an order number but we don't currently have enough information to identify it.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

More information about this and other Kennebec models can be found in the Kennebec catalogs contained on the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CDs available from http://www.wcha.org/catalog/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if these descriptions don't match your canoes. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with your restorations,

Benson

Attachments

• K-15749-a.gif
    K-15749-a.gif
    215.7 KB · Views: 355
  • K-15749-b.gif
    K-15749-b.gif
    130 KB · Views: 353
  • k-17462-a.gif
    k-17462-a.gif
    535.7 KB · Views: 374
  • k-17462-b.gif
    k-17462-b.gif
    678.1 KB · Views: 355
  • k-17462-c.gif
    k-17462-c.gif
    590.6 KB · Views: 358
  • k-17462-d.gif
    k-17462-d.gif
    236.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Thank You Benson!

Your retrieval of information on Kennebec 17462 is very helpful. I think you meant to say railed by Hurd May 31, 1924 not 28. I can tell you where Location "24-369" is- it's in Belgrade Maine at the boys camp which became a family camp for the founder's descendants. We do our best to preserve the canoes we inherited. A raging debate in the family is now settled, as some thought this canoe was the "Abagadassett," a canoe of about the same vintage which "went downstream" a while ago. Various haphazard renewals resulted in the names of these old canoes being painted over and then replaced with the "wrong" i.e., not original names, resulting in pointed family discussions.

I'm glad that this has helped settle things somewhat and I have corrected the typographical error in the date. It may have been railed by Hurd but that doesn't seem to be enough letters.

Benson

Back