Trying to identify maker of 15'9" Glass covered cedar strip

ReelPro47

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am trying to identify a canoe I bought to restore but just don't have the time. I'd like to know what it's worth so I figured a maker would be a good start. I have a few pictures but can take more of specific areas if it helps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220710-123955_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220710-123955_Facebook.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20220710-123951_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220710-123951_Facebook.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20220710-123959_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220710-123959_Facebook.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 97
Welcome aboard!
I'm not an expert in canoe identification. There were many boats built by lesser known or unknown builders. They can be really nice boats, but the demand for them is low. Former wood canvas canoes that have been glassed don't sell very high if they're not a desirable brand. If it's serviceable it's probably worth a few hundred dollars. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will have better insight to share. Good luck.

Generally Benson Grey points anyone asking this question to the following related discussion. He is currently at the Assembly so he may come along a bit later. https://forums.wcha.org/threads/how-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth.57/
Another way to look at valuation is, whatever someone is willing to pay.
These Canadian canoes don't seem to bring as much in the US market as comparable US made hulls. List it as an Old Town and the asking price automatically goes up 30%. Selling prices also tend to be a bit lower although Prospectors do seem to have a market.

Thanks for the info! Anything helps at this point! I'll follow that link and see what happens! Thanks again!

Yes, if you read the MCG / Benson Grey reply above, near the bottom is a discussion of removing fiberglass. As someone who has done it recently, I can tell you what you will need:
1) a heat gun
2) a flexible scraper or putty knife (the cedar is softer than the fiberglass, at least until you get the fiberglass pretty hot)
3) many, many hours

As others have said, there is personal satisfaction in this, but not a lot of money to be made.

One more note: cedar "strips" are very narrow and are used for a different kind of construction. Your canoe has cedar ribs and planks, so the term typically used is "wood and canvas". The word "strip" will lead people to think of something different.

Thank you very much! I did not know the terminology whatsoever, have just always generalized I guess!

I think they are all a work of art, and each have their own " beauty" and character, that's why I've always wanted to re-do one, but also realize the hours and hours involved and as a busy contractor in Ontario cottage country I just don't have the time, but I figured being 35 min to Peterborough and 45 to the " Canadian Canoe Museum" I shouldn't have a problem finding someone who has the time.

Thanks for all the input

So....stripper, cedar strip, strip canoe, wood and canvas...It can be confusing and especially depending upon where you live.
RP47 hails from Ontario so the term cedar strip may have a different meaning than to someone from NYS.
In Canada it is not unusual to refer to wood and canvas canoes as cedar strip canoes. They are also referred to as cedar and canvas or sometimes wood and canvas, but the word strip shows up with regularity. And of course we need to also consider that in lake country, where the cedar strip canoes originated, there is a strong chance that the hull would be strip built, but varnish finished.
An example of a Cedar Strip, that is not;

Its clearly Canadian in origin, and has what is referred to as skinny ribs, present in Peterborough, Canadian Canoe Co and Chestnuts after 1939. Look for a set of numbers stamped into the stem in either end, 6 or 7 ribs back from the end.
Single thwart should be a 15' like a chum or minetta. They always run 15 and a half or a little more. Was this part of a camp, with the what looks like a stencil on the outside up front? Slat seats often seen during wartime, or on prospectors but anything could have come out of the factory. low stem height and sheer suggests its a Bobs special, esp if the width is 35 or 36".

Reactions: MGC
Back