Help to Identify Square Stern Canoe

Ozark417

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm trying to identify the maker of a square-end canoe restoration project that I'm about to begin. I've searched ever inch of this canoe and I'm unable to locate a serial number. I've included a few photos to help those with more knowledge than I to hopefully identify the canoe in question.

Length: 18'

Thanks.

IMG_20230402_193223.jpg
IMG_20230402_185108.jpg
IMG_20230402_185321.jpg
IMG_20230402_185517.jpg
IMG_20230402_185140.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_185506.jpg
    IMG_20230402_185506.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
That looks and smells like a OT, look close at the upper surface of the ft stem for a S/N, and post it here to learn more.
The deck shape looks later, 50's?

It appears to be a later Old Town square end model as Dan suggested. This is shown at https://forums.wcha.org/attachments/42320/ from the 1966 catalog. The suggestions at the link below may help you locate the serial number. It may be on the transom edge under the modifications. Please post pictures here if you find it.

Benson

Last edited:
I was leaning towards an OT. I was also wondering if the serial number could be below the modification at the transom. Thank you so much guys. I'll follow up with my findings.

I’m restoring the same model currently.
It’s is Old Town and serial numbers are on the stem, just forward of the keelson.

Update:

I've tried every which angle to get a photo. I'm not sure if I'm seeing actual numbers or if I'm starting to hallucinate them. I found this on the forward stem. Is there anyway to locate the build record by the name of the original purchaser, state, or city the canoe was delivered?

IMG_20230403_181429 (1).jpg

My guess is that you may have the Old Town with serial number 141437. This is an 18 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, square end paddling model with open spruce gunwales, ash decks, spruce thwarts, spruce seats, half ribs, a keel, outside stems, sponsons, a painter ring, a rowing seat and the oar locks were omitted. It was built between January and March, 1945. The exterior paint color was dark green with a lighter G. S. (Guide's Special) green bottom. It was shipped on March 16th, 1945 to West Plains, Missouri. A scan showing this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. What is the original purchaser, state, or city where the canoe was delivered? Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-141437.gif

Last edited:
You're amazing! That's it! I'll submit a donation tonight! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Benson - Do you have the 1943 catalog sheet for this boat I can save?

Last edited:
Do you have the 1943 catalog sheet for this boat I can save?

This was made and sold in 1945 so that catalog page is attached below. The one from 1943 was very similar but the prices were slightly lower. The catalog cover is available from http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/covers/large-45.gif as you may know. Your contribution is much appreciated. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,

Benson

PAGE-14.GIF

Ozark,
that’s great!
one bit of advice for now…. Label all of the #12 machine screws as to where they were originally. They are long flat head screws that go through the seat and transom knees. I mixed them up on one once and had a helluva time.
If any other advice is needed, we are here for you!
Dave
im working on this one currently.

Attachments

• A73F759B-BADE-4879-AC91-A0765C6973DF.jpeg
    A73F759B-BADE-4879-AC91-A0765C6973DF.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 60
Dave,
Thank you much! I'm very excited, but also slightly intimidated by the project. There's quite a bit of dry rot throughout the canoe. I keep telling myself just one small step at a time. I believe it will be quite the challenge and expensive to locate and collect the lumber required here in Southern Missouri... but that's also part of the fun :)

I appreciate the tip. I picked up some tackle boxes to label and place all my bolts into. I've read through the 'Rebuilding the Wood & Canvas Canoe', by Jerry Stelmonk. I'm also waiting on the Mr. Mike Elliot's book to arrive. I'll browse your past post this week to hopefully absorb other valuable tips, tricks, and discoveries as well.

I apologize in advance, I'll probably be reaching out to you often with questions and advice.

Thank you all for the sharing of knowledge, guidance, and support!

Back