trolling motor

kurtloup

Curious about Wooden Canoes
This will likely make most on this forum cringe, but I started on a trolling motor for my canoe. I haven't refinished the woodwork since I built it about 9 years ago so this is a good excuse to sand down the gunwales, etc. and revarnish them. While I am at it, I added new decks that allow easier mounting of the motor and an anchor system to the bow. I'll probably replace the thwarts too since one of them got chewed up a bit. The wiring for the motor is essentially finished, but I still need to run the cables for foot control of the motor and make the bracket (in place of the screwdriver in the photo) that allows you to raise the motor using the foot controls. The motor set up can be mounted and removed in minutes. I hope to wrap things up this weekend and take it for a test spin before a fishing tourney in two weeks.

Kurt

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

2 canoes?

I use an electric trolling motor on my 18' woodstrip all the time...Clamp it on a side mount bracket along with a depth/fish finder...Kinda unique device your making! like it!....Got a question....in one pic your canoe appears to be a wood strip...then in another, the inside of the canoe appears grey and kinda like a "plastic" canoe....you using two canoes? or is your strip canoe painted inside.
A curious mind likes to know...LOL:confused:

Yes, it is stripped built. I painted the interior for a non slip, glare free finish. I'm not sure if I would do it again. I used Interlux Interdeck paint and had it tinted at Home Depot.

I tried a side mount, but the overhanging weight made the canoe unstable when trying to turn. My canoe is fairly narrow with round bilges, so I am sure that didn't help.

I used the canoe in a fishing tourney a few weekends ago. It worked great. I hardly paddled at all. The tracking is excellent even in slight chop and quartering wind. I have been meaning to update the post with pictures of the canoe rigged out and with a video clip of it in action, but I haven't had a chance.

May27quarterview.JPG

May27seatview.jpg

looks good

Thanks for the explanation and the 2 pics....I might end up doing that to mine one day...been used a lot and that solid color looks good...I might use a good brown to keep it in the same color mode...(PS:...love the way you shortened the shaft ....When I use mine I have to be aware of shallow water at all times unless I have it raised so high I almost have to stand up...)

Shortening the shaft is easy. Just cut through the shaft with a hack saw avoiding cutting the wires. You will need to drill a new hole for the bolt that attaches the head. I think it is a 3/16" hole.

I made the new head for the motor, but I got the motor section from a guy who had already cut it down to fit his kayak. It is marginally long enough for my canoe. I store my ice chest in front of the canoe. Once I had a few fish in the ice chest, I was getting a bit of the prop chopping at the surface. Another 2-4" in length would avoid that. One benefit is I never had to raise the motor while I was fishing even though I was in water around a foot deep.

Back