Tremblay canoe c, 1973

Danroy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the following serial number found on the underside deck of my 14ft. wood canvas canoe built in St. Felicien, Quebec by ' Les Canots Tremblay Ltee.' The engraved numbers are as follows 216-752-17. I believe that the canoe was referred to a class of pleasure canoes named Chibugamau and that the model was possibly a Sioux. Also looking for any decal, sticker or plate identification for Tremblay canoes.
canoe 008.jpg

Last edited:
Tremblay canoes, c,1973

Benson...Thanks ever so much for the information...I also see that you're from Maine...my father was from the Beauce region of Quebec and worked in the Maine lumber industry as a young man...the restoration of this canoe is in homage to him. Hope to get to see Maine someday...Dan from British Columbia, Canada

Thanks Dave...I'm becoming a canoe nut as well...your canoe is the first I've seen with the decal plate and sticker on it...I'm restoring a 1973 Tremblay in homage to my pa...this is really cool...if you get a chance look under the decks to see if you have serial numbers also engraved...I would also be interested in knowing how you acquired your boat...Maillardville, BC, Canada

Sorry, Dan, I no longer have that canoe. I assumed it was 1975 vintage due to the serial number. The previous owner had no history on it. It did have the original Verolite canvas which was still in fairly good condition. It was not worth restoring due to dry rot most likely caused by the Verolite cover.

Thanks Dave I really appreciate the information you forwarded...my canoe also had green Verolite canvas, but the canoe spent most of it's life in a coworkers garage (20 years) and didn't suffer the ravages of dry rot.I'm having it restored through Kettle River canoes in Grand Forks and will be having a traditional canvas applied.

DSC_0036.jpgDSC_0030.jpgDSC_0033.jpgthought you might enjoy these I found a date stamp on my tremblay 1972 under the bow stem plate. It too was covered with Verolite and has been stored outside for over 20 years! always up off the ground and does not seem to show rot I am thinking of redoing it in the Noah's newer version of Verolite as it is a working canoe and I have a couple other projects to do as well. I have one cant rib to replace and finish spar varnish then its off to wait for its new skin.

Thanks for the reply jwil...if you take a look at the picture I originally posted you'll see another little engraving near the numbers that looks like a boot or the beginnings of some sort of animal head...just wondering if your canoe might have the same feature...I'm also curious to know how you may have acquired the canoe in the first place...and if you or anyone else out there may still have a contact with "Les Canots Tremblay"...I speak French and could converse with anyone associated with the company...it's really neat getting to know this stuff...regards Dan

I sold a package of w/c canoes that I didn't feel were worth restoring, includig the Tremblay, to an antique picker in Cranbrook.BC. He sold most of them to the TV program " Canadian Pickers". The TV program is slated to air in June of 2012. Might be interesting!

Hi Dave, I'm familiar with the TV show and have already watched a few episodes...I'll try and find a link to the series and find out if they'll air anything regarding the w/c canoes! Thanks for the heads up!

I'm familiar with the show...would be really neat to have an episode with regards to w/c canoes and it's impact on Canadian history...thanks for the heads up Dave...kind regards...Dan

Look forward to seeing that episode if they shoot it.....I hope they do something on w/c canoes and their place in Canadian history too....at least hope they don't sugest that these canoes will make interesting book shelves....of course there has been some other shows that have featured w/c canoes like the salesman's model canoe on PBS's Antique Roadshow, http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?5621-Model-on-Antiques-Roadshow&highlight=antique+roadshow. And on American Pickers there was an episode where an old w/c canoe was bought, http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.p...-quot-TV-show-Link&highlight=antique+roadshow.

The "Canadian Pickers " program spent two long days in Cranbrook, BC filming the canoes and doing what they do about a month ago.

Update. I was just informed that the Canadian Pickers show on wooden canoes will be aired on March 5, 2012.

Thanks for the heads up...is this to be the same episode that just aired this past Monday or is this the one that was filmed up in Cranbrook? BTW...after a lot of calls and utilization of my rusty French I was able to find and call on what is probably one of the last of the early Tremblay boat builders who worked for LCT back in the 50's. I will post more as my notes and findings unfold.

Dan

That would be the Cranbrook one which hasn't aired yet. I sold most of the canoes and car toppers you will see to the picker in Cranbrook as hanger canoes. I felt they weren't good enough for restoration. Should be interesting to see what the " Canadian Pickers" pay for them.

Thanks once again Dave, I look forward to seeing what they'll offer as well...they seem to want most things for next to nothing.

I believe you will find that the footage for the "Canadian Pickers" episode that aired on Monday, 30 January 2012, was filmed in northern Saskatchewan. The guys were apparently on the look-out for a "wood strip" canoe, and there was an early ribbed (possibly) 'wide board' (?) that they came across, along with a nice older wood/canvas, neither of which was sold to them. So, it will be interesting to see what happens in the BC episode. A fun program to follow and watch.

Back