patrick corry
solo canoeist
Does anyone have an unmolested 50#er of similar vintage on which the thwart length can be measured? The canoe I'm restoring came without a center thwart. The ash thwart I made needs to be cut to length. The 1924 and 1931 Old Town catalogs list "extreme width" at 34.5". Would this mean including outwales... or perhaps outside of planking to outside of planking? Or, the extreme width of the hull including tumblehome? My canoe does have some tumblehome. I do not wish to artificially pull in the inwales significantly so as to not create permanent stress on the inwales at the single bolt thwart location.
If I don't pull in at all, the thwart length would be 33 3/4", inside of planking to inside of planking.
Oh, by the way, the extreme width (with tumblehome) is just a hair over 35". I measure tumblehome thusly using two framing squares, in the following pictures:
If I don't pull in at all, the thwart length would be 33 3/4", inside of planking to inside of planking.
Oh, by the way, the extreme width (with tumblehome) is just a hair over 35". I measure tumblehome thusly using two framing squares, in the following pictures: