Thompson Decks

martin ferwerda

W/C Canoes
This is a variation I had not seen before for Thompson, with the groove in the decks, but then again, we do not see many out here in the Pacific Northwest. These are from a 1938-39 Thompson Indian.

Attachments

• thompson_deck1.jpg
    thompson_deck1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 713
  • Thompsondeck2.jpg
    Thompsondeck2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 674
The deck photo of Thompson decks from Martin are the typical decks that I have seen on several Thompson canoes here in Wisconsin.

Dan's canoe ID website shows three different Thompson deck styles-- www.dragonflycanoe.com/id/ ; click on "Thompson" on the left. One deck looks Old Townish, one looks Penn Yanish, and one looks RacineWisish... so, folks could be confused. No telling what will confuse people though--- there's a museum in Hessel with a Thompson which has the Old Townish deck, which is correctly identified as a Thompson.... and a Morris with a heart deck, identified as an Old Town.

Kathy

The decks I posted were different than on Dan's site, so I thought they might be unusual because of the slot routed in the open ends, but I guess not. Most of the Thompsons I have seen have these type decks.

Attachments

• deck_yellowcanoe.jpg
    deck_yellowcanoe.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 650
here is a Thompson that I completed a couple of days ago.....

Attachments

• lizQ2c.jpg
    lizQ2c.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 643
  • lizQ1.jpg
    lizQ1.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 608
Outstanding.

well done. Looks great. Same color as Roxie's Shell lake and Mini Cooper. Should have the Shell Lake done by August.

Martin, I'd never seen a grove in the edge of the deck before. So now I know.

Back