Thin filler on canvas

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I just finished sanding my 1932 A-F Old Town prior to painting and have found a few areas where the filler is thin and the weave of the canvas is evident. It is not down to the bare canvas but there are spots where I didnt work the filler into the weave deep enough. So my concern is that after painting ( I use no primer and 4 coats of Epifanes yacht enamel) the weave will still show. Is there a quick drying filler type product that I can use in theses few areas? The areas are small, only 3" x 5" and very shallow. I use Rollins canvas and filler. Thanks for any ideas.

Try Epifanes monofil primer. It is a thick high hide primer. It should solve your problem and would be compatible with the finish paint. Cheers, Mike....

I had a similar issue with my last project.......ran out of filler and my last coat was a little thin. Could feel the weave in a few spots. I used automotive spot putty on those spots. 3M Acryl Green I think. Dries fast and sands easily. The only issue is, depending on your paint color, it might take an extra coat or two to hide the spots that are now a different shade than the filler.

Matt

Thin filler

I had a similar issue with my last project.......ran out of filler and my last coat was a little thin. Could feel the weave in a few spots. I used automotive spot putty on those spots. 3M Acryl Green I think. Dries fast and sands easily. The only issue is, depending on your paint color, it might take an extra coat or two to hide the spots that are now a different shade than the filler.

Matt

THanks for the input as I was thinking auto filler as well. The paint color will be dark green so coverage shouldnt be a problem. Thanks Joe

Back