techniques for loading and unloading a wood canvas canoe on and off a car or pick up

yankee

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My wife and I are in our late 60's and early 70's and in pretty darn good shape. We are having a heck of a time getting our 16 foot Old Town wood canvas canoe on and off our 92 BMW car and a 2000 Chev.pick-up with a lumber rack. I've checked you tube and there is nobody our age showing us how. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We don't want to sell the the canoe and go to plastic.Thanks, Bill

Many of us are in that age-bracket!

Fred Capenos wrote an article for Wooden Canoe (issue 149) about the device he built to lift a canoe on and off his car. The title of the article is "An Uplifting (Canoe) Experience" and it can be ordered from the WCHA Store for $4. If Fred and his invention are at the assembly in July, I'll take video and put it on YouTube.

For those who have Yakima racks with the standard round cross bars, their "Boatloader" can be a great help. I resisted getting it for a long time, because it seems expensive at about $80, but our 16' OT Ideal has no center thwart, and it was just about impossible for me to load it by myself -- with the Boatloader I have no problem getting it up myself.

Greg

Back