Building a Proper Trailer for my Wood and Canvas...

Greetings!

A few years ago I saw a great design for a trailer for transporting a wood and canvas canoe. I thought I had seen it in my copy of The Wood & Canvas Canoe book by Stelmok and Thurlow, but I was wrong, it's not there. The design was such that the canoe was suspended, if I recall, by 2 small canvas hammocks, so to speak, cradling each end as the canoe rode upright. Has anyone seen this, or are there posts in this forum about such a trailer? I have heard that storing my boat open side up with the ends supported and the middle free helps keep it from moving apart over the years as well, and this makes sense. Any comments here would be appreciated.

Thank you...
Peter.

Here's a pic of my wife and I on our wedding day several years ago in our Thompson, my wedding gift to us that year, a total surprise to her on that day as I arrived at the wedding by boat!

Attachments

• 198057_1012292998283_650_n.jpg
    198057_1012292998283_650_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 302
Unless it is covered, I would be leery of trailer transporting a canoe right-side-up -- a good deal of water can be collected in a canoe during a sudden rainstorm -- and unlike larger boats that are trailered right-side-up, canoes usually have no drain plug to let the rain out.

Canoes with very long decks, such as the Charles River courting canoes, may need to be transported upright so as not to damage decks/coaming. I wouldn't have thought of this if I hadn't seen the way Ken Kelly transports his boats. Yakima makes a "saddle", and a pair will support a canoe upright. I know this isn't what you're describing but thought I'd mention it.

Lovely picture-- beautiful canoe-- perfect wedding surprise! Thanks for sharing it.

Kathy

My canoes are both stored and transported open side down.
I don't want to collect items in them during either activity.

But if you do make a trailer to haul them open side up, I'd use some kind of solid material like Kathy mentioned.
If you do use a sling, be sure the sling material is Way stronger than needed, (I wouldn't use canvas or carpet) and be very careful with sharp edges. (I've had a nylon strap fail and the "load" get dragged on the road until I could stop.)

Dan

There are some boat trailers with slings as shown at http://www.woodyboater.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Harrison-Last-Gasp-1.jpg from many years ago. This design has many limitations. I am in the group that prefers to transport canoes upside down as shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5305&d=1215358989 on an old trailer. The pictures at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?11090&p=57236#post57236 show the upright bunks for this trailer that let me easily launch a heavy canoe alone. Let us know what you come up with.

Benson

Peter,

As was stated above I see no real advantage to transporting canoes right side up. Kayaks or my son’s Sunfish are generally carried right side up or on their side so the trailer or car top cross bars don’t deform the top decks which are not strong enough to prevent damage when they are carried upside down.

My canoe hauler is a converted boat trailer. I had a welder friend make double cross trees that bolted to the trailer frame. There is a brace, at the top, between the trees, running lengthwise, to prevent trailer flex from being transmitted to the boats. I also added side braces to prevent side to side wobble. I wanted the trees to be rigid. Trees are made from 2” square steel tubes. When I loaded the Sunfish for the first time (shown in the picture on the top rack) I had to add bolts on the bottom of the bars to prevent the straps from slipping off the ends. The Sunfish was really too wide for the length of the bars. The boxes are for PFDs, straps, paddles etc. etc. and mounted on the back of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. The flat floor has the advantage of providing a place for two plastic kayaks and preventing road debris from being kicked up and hitting the boats. I have since sold the RV and pull the trailer with a Dodge Dakota.

Good luck with your project.

Jim C.

Attachments

• WCHA2013 058.jpg
    WCHA2013 058.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 301
Back