Stopover in Wisconsin

Norm Hein

Canoe Codger
I need some advice from some Wisconsinites. In late summer I will be heading from Tennessee to Watersmeet, Michigan for an 8 day solo trip to Sylvania Wilderness area. I'm going to have to make an overnight stop in Wisconsin on the way up and was hoping to get a recommendation on a clean, safe area to stay. Portage, Wisconsin area is about as far as I would want to travel. Why Portage? Well it just seems fitting doesn't it? Any advice would be most welcome on an area to stay or your experience at Sylvania.
Thanks,
Norm

Norm,
I can’t vouch for any particular place to stay around Portage. I’m sure there any number of motels close to the I-39 corridor. Actually, there is one across from the prison! (How’s that for feeling safe!) If you are camping, there certainly would be some campgrounds nearby.
As for Sylvania, you’ll have a great trip. If you are a fisherman, the smallmouth bass fishing is world class. The smaller lakes have largemouth and decent sized panfish. Panfish may be kept. Limit is 10. No bass can be kept.
Late summer may put you behind the mosquitoes, but I wouldn’t leave the Thermocell at home. In spring, it is the worst place in the world for the little blood suckers. When you portage be sure you have one hand free for swatting.
Campsites are large. They can be muddy when it rains. Portages are wide and flat, except for the ball-buster hill from Clark to Loon. The forest is virgin. There is very little understory.
if you get in trouble, let me know, I’m about 40 miles from there.
Dave

Hey Dave,
I thought you might be one to answer. Yeah I'll probably stay away from the prison. I am planning to do a hotel. I'm mostly concerned about my gear. Funny you should mention the portage to Loon, that's my first one. I must be a gluten for punishment, my first portage in the BWCA was Burnside to Crab. I believe it was 1-1/4 mile with one flat spot in a swamp. 40 mile from Sylvania or 40 miles from Portage?

It is several hours out of your direct path but the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum in Spooner, Wisconsin might interest you. The link below has more details. Enjoy,

Benson

Norm, this is our neighborhood, (we're on the SW end of the lake),
but, that is not a hard portage, long yes, but an easy walk.

I must be a gluten for punishment, my first portage in the BWCA was Burnside to Crab. I believe it was 1-1/4 mile with one flat spot in a swamp.

Norm,
Only the first part of Clark to Loon is tough. One you are on top of the hill it’s a garden walk. The Loon campsite on Loon Lake is my favorite. It contains a beautiful sand spit that allows for great swimming. Because the site is on a peninsula and fairly open due to the highly mature forest there is generally a good breeze. Loon is my favorite lake for camping and is great for smallmouth, and rock bass if you want to eat a few. The meat is much like a crappie.
Otherwise the best smallmouth lake is Deer Island Lake. No campsites though. Some smaller lakes have dandy largemouth bass as well.
Bears should not be an issue. Ask when you check in.
East Bear and West Bear Lake are fun little paddle through lakes and a good opportunity for some bluegills.
As far as gear, whatever you bring to the BW will be fine. Good rain gear is a must, as well as a water filter. Fire rings and pit toilets (AKA Minnesota Throne) are provided.

Attachments

• F4D6A81C-3C77-478C-A315-F5F28D371E12.jpeg
    F4D6A81C-3C77-478C-A315-F5F28D371E12.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 65
Hey Dan,
You helped me out considerably when my son and I took out first trip to the BWCA. You gave me great advice that that really help make our trip a success.

Dave,
I tried to reserve Loon camp site but I wasn't quick enough, and when people did reserve it they seem to reserve it for the full 14 days. I will be at Eagle 1 for the first couple of night and move around after that. I am looking forward to some good fishing. I understand there are Lake Trout in Clark Lake. Any chance of hooking into one in mid August? If so what would you suggest for lures? Spoons?? If I ask you too many more questions I'm going to have to pay a guide fee.

I'm 63 and fortunately in good physical health. This solo trip is for me to go figure out what I want to do for my "3rd 30" as I like to call it. I think an eight day + excursion without any life's noise may help me come to some answers of what I want to do when I grow up. If I can fit it in before the trip I hope to finish the restoration on my Penn Yan Carry that I've been working on for the last few years. If I don't get it done I'll resort to my 16' stripper. I've been trying to take this trip for the last 3 years but the lockdown and life events kept getting in the way. I'm going to make it happen this year.

August Lake Trout could be tough. They will be deep. A friend does well in May before they retreat to the cold water.
For bass, plastic worms or craws worked slowly on the bottom is my go to method with some topwater fun in the evenings. Clouser Minnows or poppers if you are flycasting.

Back