Stem scarf jig

IthacaBill

WCHA Member #7902
Does anyone have suggestions for building a jig for bending shorter (8-14") pieces of wood to be used for replacing stem tips? Also, any tips for actually bending the wood at that extreme radius without cracking/breaking the wood? How about splicing/scarfing the new bent piece onto the existing stem?
Thanks!:eek:

I second Michael. If splicing a short section, just saw it out of a sufficiently sized block of wood. On a curved stem like an Old Town, I'll only do this for 6 inches or so - a longer replacement than that warrants replacing the stem outright, IMO. On a torpedo stem that has a straight run to the gunwale (e.g. a Thompson Hiawatha) I'll do longer, but pretty much only the straight part.

Stem tips

That would work, but how would you attatch them to the existing stem? Would you cut matching angles an then glue/clamp or screw together? Even epoxy? Anyone have some good pictures of this?
Thanks alot!
-B

I often bend several test pieces before bending the "real" piece, I've then cut out and used smaller pieces of the test pieces for raw scarfing material.

Dan

IthacaBill...

When you look at the thread that Martin posted and you see the sunset scenic (with the scarfed stem repair) you might recognize the lake as Owasco.

Back