Stem band screw removal

JPembleton

Chest Nut
Anyone have a tip for removing old screws from the brass stem bands. The screws are tiny robertsons (yellow handle screwdriver) but they are warn too much to get a good grip to turn out.

I thought about drilling the head of the screw out, this will allow for stem band removal but will likely leave part of the screw in the wood that will be as much a pain to get out.

Jamie

Question

Are the stem bands salvageable?? If not just bend the band back at the screw and it will break off leaving the screw head exposed, just use pliers to twist them out. If you are going to try and save the stem band, you can use a Dremel tool to grind a small slot into the top of the screw for the driver. Good Luck.

You can usually pry the screw out by twisting a blade head screw driver under the stem band. You can also drill the head off then remove the screw base with small vice grips after the stem band has been removed. Another trick that sometimes works is to cut a slot in the screw head with a hack saw blade thereby allowing the use of a blade screw driver.

Thanks guys,
The stem bands are in great condition so I'd rather not buy new ones. I'l use the option of drilling out the head as you've mentioned.

Thanks

Jamie

If they are real tough, heat them with a soldering gun (NO FLAME) they will expand a little, then when they cool, may be easier to remove by any of the methods mentioned above.

Try cutting a phillips X in them with a dremel? Perhaps a single slot?

Back