Spring is in the Air

Canoe Shelburne

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Spring is just around the corner and I am getting itchy to continue my journey to paddle every lake in Shelburne County a total of 125. So far I have been to 70. I wonder what we did before Google Earth. I find myself spending alot of time looking over areas I have been and places I want to go. So far I have 2 trips in mind that I want to do. Does anyone else have any good trips planned?
For more info about my journey checkout my website www.canoeshelburne.com

Last edited:
Dan,

This question will show my ignorance, but does Canada have maps comparable to the United States Geographical Survey maps, and are they available on line?

Well before Google Earth and Google maps, there were the USGS survey maps in the U.S. which, while informative, in paper form can be expensive and are not always convenient to use, and finding a publicly-available collection is difficult.

But the historical versions of those maps, at least for New York and the New England States, have been available on line for some time:

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm

Yesterday, poking around the old maps for central Maine on the computer, I identified 3 or 4 likely day paddle trips that we were unaware of, although they are quite near some of our usual paddling spots -- if the old dirt road shown on the old maps is passable. There is an element of adventure in using the old maps -- while topography usually doesn’t change much, roads come and go -- sometimes what was once inaccessible can now be reached, while other times roads have fallen into disuse and may not be passable. Google maps and Google Earth can sometimes help in this regard.

We are looking forward to checking out these new-found (for us) bogs and streams this spring and summer. And one of these days, we want to get back to Nova Scotia with a canoe. One of my fondly remembered canoe camping trips was in Kejimkujic Park, when it was new and not quite completely open, and I had my Trailcraft kit canoe on top of the car -- not so far from you.

Greg

Looking forward to the rest of your explorations in Shelburne County.

Greg, you can also try this online app...

GMap4

It's a neat website where you zoom to your location using google's maps and then can overlay different data onto the screen. I've got it rigged up to default to Kejimekujik but you can pan around to anywhere you like. Then use the drop down box on the right side to select "T5 Canada" and it will overlay Topo maps. You can zoom in and out for more details. Cool thing is that you can quickly change to Google's satellite view and get some bird's eye view of the land. You can also select "T2 Mytopo" for other graphics but it comes with that annoying Mytopo.com logo all over the place. Hope that helps

Back