Spray painting a canoe

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I have restored and repainted a dozen canoes over the last few years and have always painted them by hand : roller and brush. Does anyone know why this is the way it is done and not sprayed? I just experimented on a repaint and used a sprayer and the results were pretty good and it took much less time to do. Is there a reason I shouldn’t spray from now on? I used a Rockler finish sprayer with oil based enamel. Thanks

That is a good question. I'm inclined to think it's a fairly simple answer. Until Harbor Freight started pumping out cheap functional sprayers the average Jane or Joe would have been unlikely to own one. Marine paints don't come in rattle cans but a brush (and more recently, a roller) were cheap and readily available.
55 years after my first canoe paint job still d0n't own a sprayer. I've gotten fairly good with a brush. I can paint in my cellar or the garage without worrying about overspray landing on other canoes and boats.
If you have a sprayer and a place to do it, why not? It seems like it would be a quicker way to paint and presuming you are good with a sprayer it should provide a nice finish.

Agree this is a good question. I too have used a brush in the past but on the last canoe I painted I gave spraying a shot. I used sheet plastic in the garage to make a ‘paint room’ and the results were pretty good.

E620AEC1-0624-469C-87CE-EF75F553850F.jpeg
180546CE-B566-4B8D-8592-306ABEF67B18.jpeg

Back