Source for Canvas

chazd

Charles
I have searched. I have bought the book.

I need the best source to get canvas for recovering my canoe.

Please help.

Charlie

Charlie,

Why do you need the "best" source for canvas?

FWIW, I get my supplies from either Jerry or Rollin, (can't remember off hand which of the 2 sells supplies) a phone call, a CC and in a few days the right stuff is on your doorstep. Almost zero effort.

With that said, most Pro builders also sell supplies, and there maybe one close to you.

Dan

Best Canvas?

Dan,

I guess I am looking for the best stuff at the best price. I am not a total purist (sorry) modern materials do me just fine if they look authentic.

So...Price, ease of doing business (website, fast shipping, etc) and quality product is what I am looking for.

charlie

Charlie,

I'm not sure what the "best" canvas is but you need to decide what weight you want, whether it is preshruck or not, and if it is treated with a mildewside or not. I suspect that most folks who fix-up a canoe or 2 just get the std stuff from one of the Pros that sell material.

I checked and it is Rollin at Northwoods Canoe that I get my supplies, he only sells/uses the top line materials. He is linked on the Builders Directory, and/but, there may also be a Pro located close to you that would/could also sell materials.

Also, remember that you will also need things like tacks, staples, screws, stem bands, seat/thwart fasteners, varnish, filler, paint and bedding.

Some of these things are readily available at marine suppliers, like varnish, paint, bedding, screws, but others are easier just getting from a Pro.

Dan

Good Canvas?

Dan,

That helps. I live out away from any pro that I have seen listed. I will be doing a mail order from somewhere (esp. given gas $$), unless there is someone around Ithaca that I am not aware of.

I have a fair amount of experience with wood boats. This is my first canvas canoe however. I havn't found canvas in my wood boat supply places.

I thought there might be some ruberized, mildew-resistant product out there.

Charlie

One of the things I like about w/c canoes is that they are "old timey": the process of building the wood/canvas canoe hasn't changed, and the products used have changed very little... seems whenever someone got a bright idea (such as fiberglass), the idea turned out to be a bad one.

There are some past-discussions of canvas and mildew if you'd like to check them using the "search" function above... sometimes old posts inspire new discussions... this is how we all learn what's out there and what works.

Nothing blows people away like telling them the surface of your canoe is canvas. "Yeah, it's canvas"... and they run their hand over the smooth surface, smiling.

I just did a quick search of the Builders and Suppliers section of this website. Doesn't this fellow live in your town? If you are looking for someone nearby, he might have something to sell you.

Douglas Fowler, Sailmaker (00)
1182 East Shore Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-277-0041

If your looking for "tradtional" Filler and proper canvas, check out Bill Clements site...He also sells, tacks, clinche nails, bedding, and assorted tools. Nice guy...I get my canvas and filler from him...you can get his listing from the members list or see his add in the lastest edition of our magazine.
By traditional I mean LEADED.

Rollin vs Bill Clement!

Rollin has and is the best source both for supplies and information. On the other hand....Bill is closer to my grandhildren and he uses the traditional leaded filler...Both are trememdous sources of both supplies and information...If I need to go to Old Town and Millinocket I will go to Rollins for supplies...If I need to see my kids...I go to Bill C...Decisions, decisions!...Good luck on your quest!...As F. Harvey Bowley says "Never test the depth of the water with both feet!";) B]

Back